1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

UCAS personal statement

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by Mrs Music, Jul 14, 2011.

1. Mrs Music

Mrs Music New commenter

I have a student who is applying to Cambridge to study History, and to other universities to study History and English combined.
    With regards to his personal statement, should he write it from an angle of hoping to study both subjects at degree level, or just history? I'm concerned he's going to hinder his chances either way.
    Any advice appreciated; thank you in advance.

2. Hello!
    Generally, if a course is combined (you say History and English as opposed to History with English so I assume the both hold equal weight) they will need to demonstrate that they are really interested in both the intended university subjects. Obviously in your case, the student can't write two different personal statements and applying to Cambridge is their first option, I assume, so I would hedge bets and only mention History with personal interests and possible achievements in English, later in the statement

3. Mrs Music

Mrs Music New commenter

Thank you, that's really helpful.