1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

UCAS MFL references

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by Halogirl, Jul 6, 2011.

1. I have the joys of teaching in a school that requires full reports to be written three times a year for all pupils. As such, I feel that my UCAS references that were due in at the same time as the last batch of reports were not as good as they could have been and the teacher guilt is kicking in. Looking ahead to next year, I was wondering if we could share a bank of phrases useful for MFL UCAS references - phrases that say what we want to say but in a posh way!
    Thanks in advance for your help!

2. spsmith45

spsmith45 New commenter

I assume you work in an independent school if you are doing three written reports a year. Here is the kind of thing I write. (We have a limit of 100 words for a subject comment.)
    "X has made very good progress in all the skills this year. She is very attentive, enthusiastic, contributes well to lessons, shows encouraging fluency for this level and produces accurate written work with a good range of structures and vocabulary. She has a very good understanding of the spoken and written word. She is a conscientious and determined student who supports others well and who asks questions when in doubt. She shows good powers of analysis, works well independently and meets all deadlines. She has a good eye for detail and is always thirsty for new knowledge. She shows all the qualitites needed for study of this subject at a higher level."
    Hope that helps a bit.

3. spomenik

spomenik New commenter

It also helps to be specific i.e. She is currently reading Francoise Sagan's 'Bonjour Tristesse' and developing her knowledge about French literature.
    Her essay on presentation of women in Lorca's "La casa de Bernarda Alba" reflected careful and thoughtful research as well as her understanding of themes explored in the text and new insights based on her personal interpretations.
    As a long term sixth form tutor, I find it easier to write general UCAS reference if the subject teachers are more specific, even if it means giving me a list of bullet points rather than continuous prose. I hope this helps.