1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

UCAS application - a few queries

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by Iggy_B, Jun 26, 2017.

1. Iggy_B

Iggy_B New commenter

So I am now finalising my UCAS application as I've just got my two referees confirmed. One from the assistant principal at the FE college I was at and the other is a colleague who was an 'unoffical' mentor. Should I list my second referee as a mentor? What other title could I use?

Secondly, I just discovered I only have GCSE Biology and Physics at C grade, with my Biology at D grade, will this affect me?

2. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

You only need Science GCSEs with a C or above if you are doing primary....(if you are doing primary, contact one of the universities you are applying to and ASK them)

3. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

From https://getintoteaching.education.gov.uk/eligibility-for-teacher-training (it is amazing what Google can do):

If you want to train to teach, you will need to demonstrate:
    • a standard equivalent to a GCSE grade C / grade 4 in mathematics and English to teach at secondary level
    • a standard equivalent to a GCSE grade C / grade 4 in mathematics, English and a science subject to teach at primary level
    So it looks like a C in any Science subject is enough. No harm in checking with a university, though, if you want to make sure.