1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

UBER - Teacher type service -

Discussion in 'Personal' started by babblechatenglish, Jun 6, 2019.

1. babblechatenglish

babblechatenglish New commenter

TEACHER/TA - Thoughts?
    There are currently three apps, which offer an Uber-teacher type of service. Two apps set the rate for you, which enables the teacher or TA to earn 20% more than their normal rate and the school to save around 50%, and one of them let's you set your own rates. The latter creates a dangerous situation where teachers feel the need to continually lower their own pay in order to remain economically competitive. If you look at online teaching platforms such as Italki and Verbling where supply exceeds demand it becomes a race to the bottom where the lowest economically viable position is set by the competitors with the lowest overheads, greatest personal financial support, or who are fortunate enough to have existing wealth. I can appreciate the intention of these applications, and I would hope that automation of the role fulfilled by agencies would enable more funds to be channeled to the teachers and savings to schools. However, I am troubled that a similar situation could arise with "Uber-teachers"; a reality where a reasonable quality of life is incompatible with the marketplace, and a single bad review, whether fair or unfair, could cost a teacher their livelihood. Thoughts?

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/uber-for-teachers-to-tackle-hiring-crisis-hr2dcb2p6

2. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Capitalism.

3. 50sman

50sman Lead commenter

One wonders why the f it costs to much to find teachers why do SLT then hound the, out in a snort to me on capability then spend a fortune finding some more?

chelsea2 likes this.
  4. applecrumblebumble

applecrumblebumble Lead commenter

The chickens coming home to roost comes to mind. Privatisation biting the education service on the A rSe
    When we had the LEA we did not have this problem it just amazes me why the MATs do not want to get together and create an agency of their own and pays better rates than the existing agencies. Oh yeh they would fall out over who gets the best staff. Oh and they want the government to pay them to set up such service.

JohnJCazorla likes this.
  5. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Many schools seem to have the delusion that out there somewhere are experienced and outstanding supply teachers that are happy to work for them for as little as the school is prepared to pay. Until they find them, they'll make do with anyone who will come in for the offered amount.

For some reason, something that is excused as "market forces" dictates the senior rates of pay which of course HAVE to be more than a simple HT or LEA Director of Education, whereas belligerence and a refusal to pay more to the people who actually do the job applies further down the pecking order.

The MAT system seems to combine the worst aspects of LEA's and of capitalism with those at the top deciding where the public money that comes in goes without the risks.

JohnJCazorla likes this.
  6. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Remember; no-one said that Education was off the table during our negotiations with Trump.

JohnJCazorla likes this.
  7. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Great.
    Time to rewrite the CV-"I've a growth mindset and a relentless drive to innovate in lockdown drills. Clean DBS and own concealed holster"

JohnJCazorla likes this.