1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

UAE Tax Free Salary Expectations

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by tafawke, Mar 20, 2012.

1. Hi
    When considering an offer from a school in the UAE (ADEC excluded) what would be a reasonable tax free salary for a teacher with two Bachelor degrees, a teaching qualification from Australia as well as QTS and a PGDE from the UK and seven years experience teaching English, Media, Drama and History. I am currently a Head of Department in a UK school.
    I don't have an offer on the table but I did turn down a HoD offer of 4575AED + 4575 AED general allowances (so they didn't have to include that figure in the gratuity at the end of contract) plus 5000 for accommodation and 1250 for HoD allowance + flights and visa for me but not my husband - no mention of medical though he did say that was a mistake.... but there was no negotiation at all allowed. (I don't have any children so an offer of education for dependents is valueless)
    I am just interested in hearing what I should be asking for or expecting.

2. Hi
    When considering an offer from a school in the UAE (ADEC excluded) what would be a reasonable tax free salary for a teacher with two Bachelor degrees, a teaching qualification from Australia as well as QTS and a PGDE from the UK and seven years experience teaching English, Media, Drama and History. I am currently a Head of Department in a UK school.
    I don't have an offer on the table but I did turn down a HoD offer of 4575AED + 4575 AED general allowances (so they didn't have to include that figure in the gratuity at the end of contract) plus 5000 for accommodation and 1250 for HoD allowance + flights and visa for me but not my husband - no mention of medical though he did say that was a mistake.... but there was no negotiation at all allowed. (I don't have any children so an offer of education for dependents is valueless)
    I am just interested in hearing what I should be asking for or expecting.

3. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Well, put it all together and it is not a lot of money. I don't know how much a decent apartment in Dubai would be or even a villa, but you can be pretty certain that 5000 won't be enough.

4. hmmm that is a shockingly low offer, particularly if you are getting a housing allowance, as in abu dhabi/ dubai the housing will be much much higher. as a HoD you should be expecting a far higher offer, i would say this is low even for a classroom teacher with no extra responsibilities.

5. A few agencies have told me to expect around 9500 plus package but I reckon that is too low. They tell me I will price myself out of the market if I expect more than that. Glad I'm not the one being unreasonable.

6. stopwatch

stopwatch Established commenter

Cheapest half decent 1 bed apartment 50,000 aed per year. You really would want/need to spend 70,000 +.
    The offer you have is not good by any stretch.
    Sorry

7. That's why I turned it down, he seemed shocked I wasn't interested in his offer...

8. rednelly84

rednelly84 New commenter

Agencies don't know what they are talking about. I was offered a measly 8500AED last year as a classroom teacher and took it as prospects at home were (and still are appalling). I was told that was a good salary for my level of experience. Once I got my foot in the door I found that figure was extremely poor and have since jumped ship. A HoD in AD should expect to earn around 15-18k AED per month. Some schools offer free accommodation with utilities paid and others offer an allowance. As others has said, your 5k allowance is nothing. Some staff I currently work with have an allowance of between 120k and 150k AED.
    Best thing I can say is to avoid using an agency and apply to schools directly.
    Good luck [​IMG]

9. I'm currently waiting on the results of my interview in which I was offered 10,200 with accomodation (no utilities) medical, visa costs (but not for my husband) flights and gratuity.

I was wondering how do you go about getting a visa for the other half? I've done research online which says I could secondary sponsor him, is this correct? I was lead to believe at interview that as a woman I would be unable to do this, so I'm just a little confused. Then there would be the costs involved with this, which I can't seem to find anywhere.

If I am offered the position there is the possibility that my other half can acquire a teaching assistant position at the school but the school does not pay visa costs for this role. Does anyone know the costs of a work visa? The school I'm assuming would be applying for the work visas as individuals are not able to do this?

Any help much welcome as this is all I've been able to find out through the Internet. Trying to be in a knowledgable position if offered the job.

Thanks in advance