1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

UAE qualifications

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by teacher1332, Feb 11, 2019.

1. teacher1332

teacher1332 New commenter

Hi all,

Seeking clarification. A school in Abu Dhabi has told me that I need a primary teaching degree to work there rather than a subject degree and PGCE. I assumed this was correct and had therefore ruled UAE out however I can’t find this requirement stated anywhere else, just that a primary PGCE is fine.

Thanks

2. sparklesparkle

sparklesparkle Established commenter

If that is the requirement for their school, there's no point in seeking clarification elsewhere.

3. teacher1332

Apologies, I should have been clearer. I was checking to see if this was the case in all schools across UAE from different experiences. I did wonder if it might be specific to Abu Dhabi and different in Dubai but thought that would be a bit odd. Totally get it that if it’s a school policy that’s that.

4. markedout

markedout New commenter

This is an extract from a current GEMS ad for primary teachers for a Dubai school:

The successful applicants will have the following:

A certified teaching qualification, such as B.Ed, PGCE, PGDE or equivalent

Experience of teaching in a UK curriculum school

The desire to provide Outstanding teaching and learning

Aspiration to work in a world class school with real prospects for enhancing their career

5. Mr_Frosty

Mr_Frosty Occasional commenter

I'm sure it must be a school thing. I work in a secondary school but know primary teachers in ABu Dhabi who 'only' have a PGCE.

6. february31st

february31st Established commenter

This translates into simple English as, "We want someone young and cheap who will do everything we tell them to do regardless of the workload".

I have been looking at the UAE for a possible next job and the rules and regulations for what is required for Degree and Teaching Credentials is a bit blurred.

But in General they are looking for "Qualified Teachers"! The "Old Hands" on this site will know what I mean by that statement. This has two aims, to eliminate undesirable candidates from working in the UAE and to prevent unscrupulous school owners filling their establishment with cheap poorly qualified labour.

7. teacher1332

Thanks all!

Mr_Frosty likes this.