1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

UAE partner visa

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by Lottie_100197, Feb 26, 2020.

  1. Lottie_100197

    Lottie_100197 New commenter

    Hi there. I have a job working in the UAE (not sure exactly which Emirate yet!!) starting in July and my partner is wanting to move with me but we are wanting to know if we get married will he automatically qualify for a visa that will allow him to work there too?
    Many thanks
  2. february31st

    february31st Established commenter

    No a dependents/married visa for Residence does not allow the person to work in the country only to live with you.
  3. Duraz

    Duraz New commenter

    If your partner can find a job there then the employer has to issue a work permit which seems to be quite straightforward. However finding a job in the uae can be more challenging than you might expect. For most jobs there is a lot of competition from people who will accept low salaries.
  4. twigtwig

    twigtwig New commenter

    My wife can work on her dependants visa i just have to write a letter of no objection. This is in Dubai so i'm not sure about other emirates. I checked with the school's HR department and they gave me all the details. Depending on the type of work she does she may get a visa from the company she is with or a freelance visa. There are loads of PRO (public relations office) companies that will help (for a fee of around 4000AED) with the visa for you wife. I used this one and they were great.


    Good luck.
  5. markedout

    markedout Occasional commenter

    If your husband wants to work in the UAE, he will have to be sponsored by his employer. He cannot work under your sponsorship. if you are employed by the Ministry of Education this won't affect your salary or benefits, I think. In private schools, it is common that the wife is sponsored by her husband and not the school, so the school is then not obliged to provide health insurance, accommodation, flights etc. as these are provided by the husband's employer for both husband and wife.

    @twigtwig I don't think you twigged that the poster is female and is talking about sponsoring her husband.
    stopwatch likes this.
  6. moscowbore

    moscowbore Lead commenter

    Can someone clarify if the UAE allows unmarried people to live together?

    It did not when I lived there.
  7. the hippo

    the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

    I know that some unmarried couples do indeed live together in the UAE, but on the whole this seems to me rather unwise. Of course some parts of the UAE are a bit more relaxed, but my understandimng is that it is still illegal.
  8. Lottie_100197

    Lottie_100197 New commenter

    As my husband is not qualified in any area but happy to take up any job what visa will he actually be able to apply for then or will it be best to get a dependant visa through me then find work while he is over there? Many thanks!
  9. twigtwig

    twigtwig New commenter

    I was writing about my situation but it is the same if the poster is female as teachers are one of the professions that are allowed to sponsor husbands. I work with female staff who sponsor their husbands and they work with an NOC from their spouse.

    In answer to another question about living together, people do live together unmarried. Technically it is not allowed. The problem comes if you need to to apply for things as only one of you will be able to register your address with Ejari (this is a piece of paper you need when you sign a lease on a place). School will definitely not let you do it.
    Lottie_100197 likes this.
  10. gulfgolf

    gulfgolf Established commenter

    Technically it is flat out illegal. For some, not an issue. But if your neighbor, student, colleague, employer, whatever... find out and decide to make an issue of it, it's an issue. Best outcome is one or both of you being immediately removed from the country. Do not pass go, do not collect 200. Worst outcome is prison, then deportation.
    Of course, not really relevant to this thread, as the OP's partner does not have a visa, so cannot legally reside in the UAE at all. In order to cohabitate, it is first necessary to habitate. Anyway, they said they were getting married.
  11. taiyah

    taiyah Occasional commenter

    I'd hate to bring you the bad news about your husband lacking qualifications...

    The UAE. The entire ME have got a huge pool of people who can do whatever your job husband can offer. Earning as little as £300 PER MONTH.

    I guess the hospitality industry and working in hotels is an option. There are hotels who would prefer a certain shade as front of house staff. If he lands one, he'll get discounts which means so will you.
    Lottie_100197 likes this.
  12. markedout

    markedout Occasional commenter

    Is there some training he can do before arriving in the UK? A TEFL course maybe? English is widely spoken in the UAE but there are usually those who would like to improve their language skills and also many language schools.
  13. stopwatch

    stopwatch Lead commenter

    The school where you work, may consider giving him a job as a TA. This is quite a common occurrence, but not guaranteed.
    As others have rightly pointed out, people live with a boyfriend/girlfriend (usually who have met whilst in the UAE) and get away with it - I would say this applies to the vast majority - however, if you get caught, or somebody decides they want to report you, you are completely st-u-ffed.
    Your new husband can get into the UAE with a tourist visa and can live with you longer term provided you sponsor him. However, if he is unemployed, it could mean you find it difficult living on one salary - particularly if you are working at one of the lower paying schools (ie less than 12,000 AED a month)

Share This Page