1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

UAE MOE offer for Teacher

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by todd89, May 15, 2017.

1. todd89

todd89 New commenter

Hi,

Been offered a job to work as a PE teacher in the government schools.

Only been offered 16000 AED without accommodation. I was after the 21k Lead Trainer role but didn't get it.

I think 16000 is gonna stretch me.

Any advice from those who are already working out there is welcomed.

Thanks in advance.

2. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

Sixteen without accommodation will be a stretch but not impossible. Depends what standard of living you "need".

3. shaunzo16

shaunzo16 New commenter

Hi there,

I'm looking to work as a PE teacher overseas. Any insights as to which recruiting company to go with? or suggestions of who to contact, etc? (I'm new to this TES community so I'm not sure how to PM someone..)

4. todd89

todd89 New commenter

I want to be able to save around 5000-7000 AED per month. I save more than that now in Kuwait.

5. gazzmus

gazzmus New commenter

You could always just go there for the culture! :)

6. the hippo

the hippo Established commenter Community helper

What culture?

Talc_1234 likes this.
  7. gulfgolf

I don't see that as an option unless you share accommodation and live a very meager lifestyle without trips home during the year.

8. todd89

todd89 New commenter

So those figures for saving is definitely not possible?

Think I'll have to turn it down. The salary used to be 18,500!!

9. todd89

todd89 New commenter

That's really disappointing to hear...

10. Jason_Bourne_

Jason_Bourne_ Occasional commenter

Work in a government school for 16k without accommodation? No thanks! It's a no brainer and the fact they are reducing salary offers should tell you a bit about them.

11. hummi7883

hummi7883 New commenter

16K with accommodation would have been good I think.
    That is 3300 £ per month. All you have to spend on would be your bills,car and other expenses?

12. isotonic

isotonic Occasional commenter

Accommodation is essential - you do not want to be running around trying to secure a place to live - it is better to get an all in package which includes a place to live or at least get your employer to find you a place and take it out of the salary - also in the middle east rent is expensive!

Goosestepandgone likes this.
  13. gulfgolf

Good call

14. todd89

todd89 New commenter

I guess I'm bonkers for still considering this...

15. Jason_Bourne_

Jason_Bourne_ Occasional commenter

Completely and utterly bonkers...

16. todd89

todd89 New commenter

Right, I'm gonna turn this down right now! You're totally right. Thanks

17. truth_seeker12

truth_seeker12 Occasional commenter

Maybe keep the option open till you find another place. Its a bad salary but depending on the location, the rent could be cheaper than the main Cities and could work out with good saving potential so do a bit more research.

Just to let you know and I am sure this is the case for other schools in the ME, schools are employing teachers from Asia for PE roles and getting away with paying them less than 9k. Its a good salary for a teacher from Asia and they will willingness accept.

18. todd89

todd89 New commenter

I just cannot accept the low salary without an accommodation package plus working in a government school. I've turned it down. My sanity and happiness is far more important. Thanks for the help guys and girls.

Helen-Back likes this.
  19. truth_seeker12

truth_seeker12 Occasional commenter

There are still Schools employing for August. Suprisingly A lot. Hope the search goes well.

20. todd89

todd89 New commenter

Yeah I have time yet.

Thank you