1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

UAE Government recruitment drive for teachers

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by luke212, Sep 18, 2017.

1. luke212

luke212 New commenter

Hi all,

I would really appreciate any advice on what it is like to work in a Public School in UAE. I am just about to attend an interview for a Business Studies position. I have been told that my package will consist of 22,000 dirams ( £4400) a month. I have to source my own accommodation out of this salary. I also receive annual flights and medical insurance.

I am concerned about the following points:

1) I have read online about the low motivation and poor/hostile behaviour of Emirati students towards western teachers. How bad is it? I have read of incidents where the school management team will publicly humiliate you in front of staff and pupils alike and will often take the side of Emirati students who come from well-known families.
    2) Do I have a say in which school I will be placed in? The government are recruiting for Ajman, Dubai, Fujairah, Ras Al Khaimah, Sharjah and Umm Al Quwai.
    3) I have a friend who is a teacher based in Jumeirah College, Dubai. I would like to be close enough to him so that we can meet up easily enough. What areas are sufficiently close enough for this not to be a problem?
    4) What are the working conditions like over there in terms of resources, length of day, school leadership?
    5) Ideally, I would like to live just outside of Dubai in say Sharjah. I have found basic studio apartments for roughly £500 a month e.g. https://www.propertyfinder.ae/en/re...da-sahara-complex-sahara-tower-1-5631730.html
    Will I be able to save a good chunk of my money if I can secure this type of accommodation? I have quite a modest lifestyle and enjoy mainly playing sports/gym and watching TV/the internet as opposed to drinking and going out.
    6) Any other particular issues that I should be aware of?

I am fearful after reading the below post from another teaching forum.......

"People, do not go to the UAE to teach in their public schools, no matter how much money they offer you. It is horrible. The turnover rate for teachers is huge. As matter of fact, they have many runners (teachers who don't finish and run away halfway through their contracts). Whether in Dubai or Abu Dhabi, don't go. Trust me! Listen to my advice now. It will save you a lot of grief. Yes, the pay is pretty good, and if you have a lot of experience is great. In places like Abu Dhabi, they even offer you free accommodation, a moving allowance, free yearly flights and a bonus for every year you worked there. But you will be overwhelmed with your 30 hours a week, and horrible Emirates school management staff and board. Worse of all and this goes across the board, the student body behaviour is one of the worst in the world, to the point where they will actually physically threaten you. The kids do not know one word of English and don't have any interest in learning English. They behave like a bunch of animals. Boys and girls are segregated by schools and male teachers are not allowed to teach all girls schools. You will find yourself screaming from the top of your lungs no matter what class management techniques you use and management will not move one finger to help you or ever take your side against a student. Your only option will be to talk to the kids' fathers who will beat them mercilessly in order to get them to behave. They will never respect you as a Westerner. You will be abused by the staff and reprimanded in front of your own students. You will be given unrealistic goals and expectations. You will be asked to lie and change students marks by management in order to make the school look good and under request of the parents. You will wake up everyday asking yourself whether you still want to be a teacher, depressed, frustrated, abused and dismoralized. Trust me, the money is not worth it. They will promise you the world but once you are there, you will be by yourself. Yes the place has a lot of places to have fun, but you will be so miserable you won't event have the mood to do anything. That place is toxic. If you do go to the UAE, only accept to teach in private international schools to expat kids. Do not teach the emiratis."

If there is anybody out there that has/is working over in a Public School in the UAE who could offer me advice I would be eternally grateful. I am available for direct messages or whatever you prefer.

Thank you.

Luke

2. ecair

ecair New commenter

Unfortunately everything in the post that you've quoted is very accurate regarding attitude and behaviour.

Also, you won't get to stipulate where you are based so could get anywhere and some places will feel very isolated.

Also, living in Sharjah to work in Dubai would be quite difficult. I'm sure plenty of people do it but you'd spend a lot of time in traffic.

I'm sorry to sound negative but, despite the good salary, it really is a very difficult job

3. february31st

february31st Established commenter

Working in hell is the short description you are looking for.

ejclibrarian likes this.
  4. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

I would advise against it. The public schools in the UAE do not have a good reputation.

5. rednelly84

rednelly84 Occasional commenter

If you have to source your own accommodation, expect to pay around AED8k a month minimum. My advice? Don't do it, especially now that said schools have extended their school day for students to finish at 3:30, with compulsory ECAs (clubs) until 4:30. You wouldn't want to live outside of Dubai if you work in Dubai. It can take, during rush hour, a good hour or two to traverse from one end to the other.

6. jenniegorman

jenniegorman New commenter

[This comment/section/image has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions]

Hi Luke, I worked in a private school, what is your reason for living in dubai? Just wondering if you love the place or the salary or just wanted a change!

I went on a whim and to get my first teaching job becase NQTs can go gears without getting employment in England especially in the northwest.
    [This comment/section/image has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions]

7. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

no sure they are going to reply, they posted this last year o_O

8. Mr_Frosty

Mr_Frosty Established commenter

Weirdly I think I know the person who did the job in the OP back when I first landed 4 years ago. They've left the UAE now but I don't think it was as bad (back then) as some of the responses in the thread might suggest.

ummarzaman likes this.
  9. moscowbore

moscowbore Lead commenter

Paying for your own accommodation is a showstopper. In my opinion, barge pole.

10. Mr_Frosty

I pay for my own, I'd rather take the allowence and choose my own place than be stuck somewhere not of my choosing. But I do get a very generous allowence and get to keep what I don't spend. But even 22k a month would rent a decent place in the marina or JLT and leave you 14k a month to live on. There are lots of schools that pay less than that and then stick you in a dindgy flat in boring neighborhood.

ummarzaman likes this.
  11. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Usually the allowance is nowhere near the real cost of renting somewhere even half decent.

12. Mr_Frosty

I'm not sure about that. My allowence is 115,000 aed. My rent was 94,000 but dropped to 80,000 this year.

Nice one bed 2 bathroom apt with marina views 2 pools and a provapr gym.

There are places paying peanuts but most will pay 80,000 a year in accommodation allowence and that will get you somewhere nice imo.

13. bead

bead New commenter

4,400 pounds per month? nothing else?. Better to stay in the UK. I know you pay tax etc but you at least get long term benefits from it. The cost of living in Dubai will eat up everything you earn, and the working hours??? You can earn this in Kuwait and get accommodation on top working 7:30 to 2:30.

14. makhnovite

makhnovite Established commenter

bead? is it him?????

15. agbak

agbak New commenter

Good day Mr_Frosty,I am about to take up a teaching appointment in a government school,and reading your post,your apartment is paid for,from what I am reading. Does the school pay upfront or monthly?..

16. agbak

agbak New commenter

Are you in Abu Dhabi or Dubai? By the way I'm Primary,Early Years!

17. Mr_Frosty

I don't work for the MoE but I get a housing allowance which I use to pay for my own place. As you often have to pay the yeat in advance my school paid the first year and garnished my wages until I paid off the amount. In year 2 I took a loan to pay it and since then I've paid in cash.

I did hear 2nd hand today that some MoE teachers here in Abu Dhabi who were expecting to move from a school flat to an allowance were told by the landlord that the flat had been renewed so they're planning on staying put.

And as that doesn't seem very clear - I believe that in the past the MoE have provided flats for teachers - the ones I've been in were very nice. I had heard they were moving to an allowance this year instead, but the news today suggests that might not be happening.

18. billinziemalcolm

billinziemalcolm New commenter

Don't work in a UAE government school, all that you have mentioned are true and my sister has worked in Dubai for 15 years and she has clearly told me to apply for only British private schools or American private schools based on the same negative feedback you mentioned. Her child attends [This comment/section/image has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions]which is a British private school, I am intending on applying to British private schools. I hope all goes well, pm if you like.

19. billinziemalcolm

billinziemalcolm New commenter

do you mind telling me which are the good schools i can apply to in Dubai, Im an NQT. thanks

20. Mr_Frosty

Honestly I have no clue idea I don't teach a British curriculum but someone in a thread recently (ish) said that youay be able to do an NQT year at a COBIS school. So maybe look at their website and contact schools directly - I'm not sure there will much response at the moment as everyone is on holiday - I'm literally at the airport waiting to board right now.