1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

UAE expected salary

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by zoe_ccole, Feb 12, 2020.

1. zoe_ccole

zoe_ccole New commenter

Hi,
    I am currently in the process of looking for jobs in Dubai and Abu Dhabi. I have 2 years post qualification experience so I am now wondering what type of salary should I expect?
    Also, I have been told to never accept the first offer, always negotiate. But by how much? What is a realistic amount more to ask for?

Thank you

2. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

The scummy schools might "negotiate", zoe_ccole, but proper schools tend to have something called a "salary scale". Where you will be on this scale depends on your qualifications and experience, not on your negotiating skills.

Comparisons between salaries in the UAE and in the UK can be hopelessly misleading and unhelpful. Rubbish schools will pay badly and well-established and properly run schools might be a bit more generous. On the whole, salaries in the UAE have stagnated over the last six or seven years and therefore it is no longer the best place to go if you want to colleact a huge pile of cash.

Another point to bear in mind is that the salary is only part of the overall "package". Perhaps it could be argued that it might not even be the most important part.

If the first salary offer is acceptable, even generous, then I would grab it. Some schools have been known to withdraw offers of employment when teachers try to drag their feet.

Although it was rather a long time ago, I still remember making the move into international schools. It can be a bit of a minefield. I have sent you on of those TES Conversations.

3. taiyah

taiyah Occasional commenter

In the UAE... Where young starting candidates like you are flooding the country. First step of advise is to apply, get an interview and get an offer.

In today's economic climate... Dubai in particular has a large pool of inexperienced young'uns to chose from.

Focus on getting an offer first before asking about salaries.

towncryer likes this.
  4. w1185299

w1185299 New commenter

It’s like asking, how many bubbles in a bar of soap....?

5. february31st

february31st Established commenter

Unfortunately you sound overqualified for a job in Dubai. You will be competing for jobs with unqualified PGCEi applicants who will take any financial offer without question. Another post is from a trainee teacher who hasn't completed their PGCE asking how to apply for a job in Dubai.

In a recent post another teacher was offered 13K which is about what a taxi driver can make in Dubai. If a school is offering such an insulting figure it is confident someone will accept the offer and be grateful to work at such a prestigious establishment.

The UAE and the rest of the middle east is now not worth the suffering to work there under slave conditions.

6. sazad99

sazad99 New commenter

I think many teachers will and are accepting 13k tax free (£32000 tax free is OK) . It's not the worse salary in the world if accommodation, bills, visa, flights and health insurance is covered. It would be a good starting point for a teacher with less experience.

Some comments regarding salarybin these forums are really not helpful.

Making such comments about under slave condition in the middle East is a really uneducated one.

7. february31st

Currently 13000AED is equal to 2700GBP and having lived in the ME I stand by the working under salve conditions.

8. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Slave conditions in the Middle East, sazad99? I think that you will find that the famous (or infamous) article that appeared in The Independent, "The Dark Side of Dubai", suggests that this is not really an uneducated or inaccurate description for the plight of many "guest workers". Maybe it is not so true for most expat teachers. However, "health insurance" in the UAE may not always mean what you think it means.

Just before this smelly old hippo left Qatar, he was getting 13,000QR a month and that was eight years ago! Remember that this will probably not include any pension contributions, so no, it is not a good salary.

9. Powergnome3

Powergnome3 Occasional commenter

It totally depends on the person's circumstances. If I were a 25 (I wish) year old wanting something exciting, £27k tax free per year, with no rent to pay, would easily be the equivalent of £50k - no young teacher earns that in the UK.
    Unfortunately, Febs may have lived in the ME, but has no idea about taxi driver earnings - they are lucky to earn £600 per month... but out of that they still manage to send money home to their families - it is interesting that some peoples''slave labour' is another person's earning with remittance.
    As for the Hippo... in Doho there is only one top school - and even that one is questionable, although it pays significantly over the 13k he was earnjbg... so 13k DHS per month is not great... but also not bad - very middle of the road - depending on your circumstances. That is the same as it was 8 years ago, as salaries have not increased here.

towncryer and sazad99 like this.
  10. mungomango

mungomango New commenter

I would suggest 10 to 13k.
    It's not amazing but as suggested above if you have free accommodation on top, a return flight each year, free school for 2 children etc it's actually not bad. All depends on what you are looking for

And a taxi driver would not earn that each month.

A recent thread on Facebook suggested you needed a minimum of 45k per month per family to live comfortably here. But tht meant paying out for school fees and accommodation.

If you are young and single I think 13k per month is great. But each to their own.

Teachers in my school who get paid roughly that travel all over the place each holiday, save, drive a small SUV, go out and take advantage of happy hours etc. And have a great life and stay in the UAE for years, often get married and have kids here, by which time they are earning even more.

sazad99 likes this.
  11. sazad99

sazad99 New commenter

Febs your clearly not a math teacher, I have no idea how you got to £27k, it will be £31-33k depending on the exchange rate. I understand that teachers get paid for all 12 months in the middle East and not 10.

Also, I'm sure most teachers in the middle East are working far less than teachers in the UK which is of interest for the OP.

Salaries may have not risen so much in the last 8 years and it won't be attractive for a person with countless years of experience, however, that doesn't necessarily make it a bad offer.

Powergnome3 likes this.
  12. PuertaDelVino

PuertaDelVino New commenter

Febs always overexaggerates salaries. In China, 13k which is £32544 for 12 months is the average teacher's salary. Don't listen to Febs saying it is a lot more than this. I worked in China in 2017 and quite a few teachers working there, some nearby Shanggers, moved to be on our salary which was for me 26000 after tax and that included a responsibility point. This was approx £2900 at the time in 2017. That was/is the going average rate in China then so I believe although I can't talk about Shanghai salaries. I now have an interview for a school in Dub and it is coming up as £3000 a month plus paid for apartment and flights. I don't consider this a poor salary although I am only too aware at my age that it does not include pension payments, but if I put £1000 away for pension, I still have 2k and so long as I don't go wasting it on hiring cars or buying alcohol, I should be able to save £1000 or more a month. China and the ME.dub seem to be similar in packages on average.

sazad99 likes this.
  13. PuertaDelVino

Everyone has degrees nowadays so salaries and packages for professions like teachers have reduced because of this in part I think.

14. february31st

Sazad98 you clearly don't have the intelligence to be any sort of teacher. My 2700GBP count the 0s to make sure its two thousand seven hundred pounds per month at current exchange rates.

A family of 4 will just about live on that salary and the school, smt and owners know this very well. The school in all likelihood is happy to keep recruiting staff year after year and not worry about staff retention as to many mugs will take the package on offer.

If the school is offering 13k and poor package they know they can maintain recruitment levels so why offer more?

15. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

I'm surprised you haven't managed to blame any of this on the iPGCE Feb ;)

16. Powergnome3

Powergnome3 Occasional commenter

My mistake people - I saw £27000, hence my comment re 27k... the eyes were foggy with single malt. Apologies.

17. february31st

dumbbells66, you are not very observant today you need to read my earlier posts!

18. Cashworth24

Cashworth24 New commenter

After reading this, I feel like I got a bit of a raw deal from my school...

19. PuertaDelVino

I have just had an interview with the "jewellry quarter" schools in Dubai and everywhere else. I actually applied back in September and got an email out of the blue l2 weeks ago for an intervire after an initial phone discussiom. The "interview" was about 15 minutes flat which did not follow what they wrote in their invitation letter which was 45-60 minutes. It was a 1 to1 interview too with the head teacher (yes I was very surprised there were not at leasr 2 or 3) who seemed in a hurry to get through the interview. I actually asked her if she wanted to see my portfolio of work (again which was asked for in the invitation). So I showed her my portfolio of lessons and plans which she seemed interested to see, On questioning her, it appeared two teachers of my subject ;)) were leaving but I asked her how many teachers she had interviewed and she said 3 I think and she also had "internal" candidates "interested in relocating." There was one admin person who was on her laptop and looked like a Brucie "Miss World" and that was it. The few candidates I saw were quite young. PM me for the package and salary if you would like to know more about this school or set of schools.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2020
    libbyg likes this.
  20. didi1866

didi1866 New commenter