1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

UAE contract

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by Cpease1, Jul 18, 2019.

1. Cpease1

Cpease1 New commenter

Offered a contract in UAE, it has basic salary and then fixed allowances for the same amount. It then states total monthly salary. Is this how much you get clear of accommodation.

I know this is silly but worry about everything moving to a different country.

Thanks in advance.

2. PuRe

PuRe Occasional commenter

Firstly congratulations :)

They break down your salary as they give your leaving gratitude based on your basic. If they say that your accommodation is provided (free) that should be excluded from your salary.

Mr_Frosty likes this.
  3. wanderman22

wanderman22 New commenter

Would you mind sharing how much they offered you? I was looking at UAE a few months ago, but was surprised the pay was not more.

4. markedout

markedout Occasional commenter

You will get your total salary each month e.g. if it says AED 14000 that's exactly what goes in the bank. I don't even get a payslip as there are no deductions, so no point!! If there is accommodation provided, that wouldn't show, but if you get an accommodation allowance it should also be itemised.

5. wanderman22

Is that what your contract was for? AED 14000?

6. markedout

markedout Occasional commenter

No

7. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Well, 14,000AED is no great shakes. And living in the UAE is a lot more expensive these days.

8. Mr_Frosty

Mr_Frosty Established commenter

14,000 is plenty so long as accommodation is provided separately. There are many people living great loves on way less.

If you have to pay accommodation out of the 14k then it will be tight but you could still do okay and save if you lived modestly.

I do get a payslip, and never heard of anyone not getting one before. It splits my salary as XX,XXX AED and then my housing allowance as X,XXX AED.

I get paid the full combined amount each month, the split is only so the school can pay a lower end of contract bonus - it's based on the salary only - as PuRe noted.

9. wanderman22

Is anyone willing to share what they get paid in UAE? My wife is looking at nursing jobs there. I am a teacher and I'd like to know how much is normal for teachers to earn.

10. Mr_Frosty

Mr_Frosty Established commenter

I've been here a while so get a little more than what the prevailing rate appears to be. At the moment most schools seem to be paying around 10.5k -12.5k a month salary plus housing but the top tier are paying 14k+ with housing.

Obviously there are people like me on more than 14k at non-top tier schools but when I came over the exchange rate was 6+ AED to the £ and it's more like 4.6 AED to the £ at the moment.

11. wanderman22

Thanks! That's very helpful.