1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

U-turn on academisation

Discussion in 'Education news' started by TES_Jenna, May 6, 2016.

1. Marshall

Marshall Star commenter

I totally agree! As a small school head we would not exist anymore.

Does anyone know anymore about the financial package for small schools?

2. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

Primary. Oh dear, you do have my commiserations. Yes, they have primaries in their sights.

OfSTED. No I don't and I don't approve of them. However, they have improved since they got rid of the 40%. There is a dialogue at the inspection and the process isn't as evil or one sided as people think.

SportyK and wanet like this.
  3. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

'Cabinet minister Michael Fallon told BBC Radio 4's Today programme: "We have now decided, having listened to parents and governors and our backbenchers that there is a better route to it, which is not forcing every school immediately to become an academy."
    He said academisation would now focus only on schools that were "clearly failing".'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-36234989

So they listened to everyone except the professionals & experts!
    And is RI evidence of 'clearly failing'?

4. SportyK

SportyK Occasional commenter

@chelsea2, I just read the article. Now the focus seems to be placing blame on local authorities who according to Paul Luxmoore Head of Coastal Academies Trust, "have been delivering school improvements to schools until now - no longer have the capacity." Talking down the abilities of LA's. Next bring the evidence to disgrace individual LAs, schools and their failing schools. Bob's your uncle, there you have it - the colour of future schools is Blue.

delnon likes this.
  5. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

The thing is, in areas such as mine, all secondary schools already ARE academies, and a fair few primaries - mainly those in the towns. This leaves lots of our little village schools still under LA control - but the LA probably soon won't have the capacity to support them, as the 'tipping point' when it is no longer viable to do so will have been reached.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  6. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

Never go the failing school thing. How can a school fail? The name? The bricks and mortar? I accept that nice buildings are better to learn in than portakabins, but I've taught in some not so nice buildings that would be classed as good schools.
    So if not the building or the name-then the people must be failing. Let's put on a round of observations and annoy them all.
    But change the name, build a shiny monstrosity and call it an Acad and all's good.

7. SportyK

Another of my gripes is the new description of a school which is struggling to meet DfE requirements. 'Coasting' - sounds like the heads, teachers and all staff couldn't give a ****. When you label something as coasting what do you think of? Chilling out on a yacht in the med, (NOT sweating blood and tears to improve your school) It's truly disgraceful! The DfE should be ashamed.

Shedman likes this.
  8. thehawk

thehawk Occasional commenter

whatever happened to discussion documents. Put out an idea for discussion, consult and them come up with a policy. If they had followed this, they would have been a listening government rather than a back-tracking government.

Shedman likes this.
  9. nearmiss

nearmiss Lead commenter

What U turn? It's just semantics. The White Paper is going ahead almost unaltered. The timetable for total academisation has had a tiny tweak, the criteria for forcing academisation have had a tiny tweak. Otherwise, business as usual.
    They are broke.
    Geddit?
    No more money for schools.
    The economy is not growing.
    Unless we do a few arms deals and get a better trade agreement with the world because we don't make anything here any more, it will only get worse.

So blame the teachers.
    The greedy teachers who get paid £70k+ a year, we know this because we saw it on the telly.
    Blame the teachers.
    The greedy teachers who just aren't satisfied because we gave them what they want - they've got a portal and everything.
    Blame the teachers
    The stupid teachers who can't spell or do grammar and so all the kids underperform in SATS.
    Blame the teachers.
    The communist teachers, terrorist sympathising, trojan horsey teachers, lazy striking teachers, soft on discipline, un-british teachers.
    Get rid of them all.
    Off with their heads!
    It's OK Nicky, you can come out from behind the sofa now, they've all gone. Look, Nicky, look. EXCELLENCE, EXCELLENCE EVERYWHERE. Oh frabjous day, callooh callay!
    That was a most curious mushroom.

delnon, -myrtille-, Shedman and 2 others like this.
  10. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

I'll have what you're having nearmiss.

11. nearmiss

nearmiss Lead commenter

I think it's called an existential crise. I have seen the future and it twerks. Somebody slap me, I've gone hysterical.

eljefeb90 and emerald52 like this.
  12. SportyK

I have one speed, I have one gear: go! Charlie Sheen

Sound familiar? Nicky Morgan, "No reverse gear."

I can see a similar outcome for the career of Nicky...

Shedman likes this.
  13. delnon

delnon Lead commenter

The DfE - and the government - has no shame.

SportyK likes this.
  14. blazer

blazer Star commenter

I went out on my bike today. I coasted down the hills. Coasting means working at maximum efficiency.

15. SportyK

;) I see what you did there. This government is full of double entendres,

16. TimW19

TimW19 New commenter

There is no u-turn. The government will simply performance manage schools and local authorities toward the inevitable. Even those high performing schools that have been granted a reprieve of sorts will be driven to transfer by the soon to be defined 'inviability' of a local authority to continue to provide the scope or depth of required services. It is over. Far better that schools consider whether they are going to opt for vertical or horizontal trust arrangements and how best they can secure the governance structure they want.

delnon and wanet like this.