1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

U-turn on academisation

Discussion in 'Education news' started by TES_Jenna, May 6, 2016.

1. gerg27

gerg27 New commenter

Well, at least he would have a bit more hands on experience than the rest of them.

2. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

And he's recognised his own shortcomings & arrogance

3. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

Next government U-turn, Jeremy Hunt pulls out of threat to impose junior doctors contracts after renewed talks.

4. stupot101

stupot101 Established commenter

Isn't there a big meeting about this tomorrow?

5. SportyK

SportyK Occasional commenter

Which is precisely why we must be vigilant. Saw this one coming after watching the Ken Baker interview. He mentioned the 'graduality of change'. Unfortunately for Cameron, the smokescreen has been blasted away and their BS is now viewed for what we teachers always knew, pure, undiluted, vile, nepotism.

petenewton and emerald52 like this.
  6. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

But we still don't have an industry wide well supported alternative model of governance.
    Many believe that LAs are not always the best org to lead top down running of schools. MATs are their competitor but are clearly open to corruption and have no accountability to locals, the profession or educational ethics and pedagogies.

Start at the top.

Qualified and trained teachers for all children of all schools.
    A cap on maximum salaries for 'teachers' and for non-teachers.
    Data focused on schools meeting provision for all children and their entitlement.
    Decoupling of assessment from the government and placed in a quango which must be staffed by who?
    A different inspection system to check MATs and LAs. Far more involvement of financial experts to investigate governance.
    Development of the need for academic qualifications for staff. Finland has invested to have all teachers at masters levels and make the job and pay attractive enough to recruit demand.

What policies would you suggest would get industry wide (i.e. people who are qualified and work in educatio; not MPs) support?

7. knowsnowt

knowsnowt New commenter

A welcome U turn for now but as others have said let's see what happens next. Very concerned that LAs deemed to be underperforming could trigger academisation.

petenewton likes this.
  8. wanet

wanet Star commenter

Having thought about it I don't think that much has changed, but the politics of it makes it look like it has. Suspect that the outcome will be the same.

petenewton and delnon like this.
  9. SportyK

I'm a little concerned, I know Ofsted is supposed to work independently, but, with the government telling us that only good and outstanding schools won't need to become academies. It worries me who will be appointed the new Ofsted boss and will the goal posts be moved once again for what makes a good school?

I can see a storm coming...

10. applecrumblebumble

applecrumblebumble Lead commenter

Very much agree this government needs to put democracy back into the 'pot' and not allow CEOs be found out when things go wrong - lets try some proactive management for a change, too much reactive stuff in this country.

OFSTED is an exocet missile set on its way by the DFE. They will pick off councils one by one and look for the slightest weakness before making them into academies. All this government has done is delay what they have always wanted to do. The only thing that will stop the process will be the electorate when they realise that MATs are corrupt, they do not provide a better education and the whole process becomes more expensive than our present system.

petenewton, Shedman, wanet and 2 others like this.
  11. slingshotsally

slingshotsally Star commenter

Finland also has a different philosophy on education. The new Michael Moore film, Where to Invade Next, mentions it briefly.

I wish I taught in Finland...

12. SportyK

These are worrying times. I'm in a school on the knife edge, we're due an Ofsted inspection anytime and we've been told by our SIP consultant that things could go either way -good or requires improvement based on data alone. Given the DfE's latest move I'm concerned we'll be railroaded into becoming an academy. :mad:

13. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

So let us take sporty K's school as an example.

In terms of attainment and progress, this school is not meeting 'expected' standards. Thus, there is a problem with the lack of profits (grades and growth).

Is the problem the children and their lack of conscientiousness and behaviour for learning due to parental background?
    Is the problem due to the type of children they recruit - the rival schools could be selecting those with better conscientiousness and attainment and leaving a higher number of PP and SEN children for sporty K's school.
    Is the problem the quality of teachers? Does sporty K's school struggle with recruitment and hire unqualified and cheaper teachers because they cannot attract or afford better teachers?
    Is the problem poor middle management who are lacking the CPD or experience needed to lead their departments into positive data territory?
    Is the problem at SLT level? Over promoted and under qualified with no idea about good leadership or management. Hiring unqualified staff, withdrawing CPD and creating a bad word of mouth on social media which feeds into recruitment issues.
    Is the problem that the LA just operates a hands off policy and ignores poor teaching, middle management or SLT strategy and doesn't work hard enough to get the schools in the LA to collaborate?
    Is the problem that there isn't a greedy shallow rake desperate to trouser stacks of cash in reward for selecting profitable students, cutting the school to the bone and focusing all efforts on the data at cost of the holistic caring ethos that used to exist?

Where, sporty k, is the problem and how is it resolved through the OfSTED inspection and academisation threat?

14. SportyK

As of last year we are 1% below floor standards despite good progress, pupil intake from this year has far less PP SEN. The school is reaping the benefits of strong leadership and a more settled (permanent) teaching team. Data is far more thorough. Parental involvement is up. All evidence is positive, BUT, I'm not going to lie about where my children are at in respect to their attainment. My worry is that this 1% could be viewed as enough to capsize the entire ship. The HT has really improved each facet of our school. It would be hellish for it to go bottom up.

The threat is DATA. Not progress,not leadership etc. But I suspect that we are a target school for academisation based on these facts.

15. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

To be fair to OfSTED, they do review everything and take everything into account. 1% below floor standards is a very vague summary of what the problem is. Is it English, maths? Composition? Exams or controlled assessment? It does sound like perhaps middle management could be squeezed here. Collaboration with other middle managers in other schools could be an answer. How well does your school collaborate with other schools in the LA in terms of sharing ideas at middle management issue?

Or some heinous rake keen to trouser lots of cash and a three year OfSTED holiday within which to do so.

16. wanet

wanet Star commenter

What happens will be a good indication of the shape of things to come. The problem will be that having said that failing schools will be academised, the definition of failing can be loose.

17. SportyK

@wanet That's exactly my concern. The school isn't failing in any respect according to Mocksteds we've had - barring this 1% which gives an inspector a loophole to do serious damage to a flourishing school.

18. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

What is this 1%? You need the Progress 8 score.

2015/16
    • Progress across 8 subjects, including English (double-weighted), maths (double-weighted), 3 English Baccalaureate qualifications and 3 otherqualifications which can include English Baccalaureate subjects and other high value academic, arts and vocational qualifications from the DfE approved list.
    • Attainment across the same 8 subjects.
    • Percentage of pupils achieving a C grade or above in English and maths.
    • Percentage of pupils achieving the English Baccalaureate
    Further information about Progress 8 is in Progress 8 measure in 2016: Technical guide for maintained secondary schools, academies and free schools. RAISEOnline has a list of theDfE approved qualifications which can be included in Progress 8.
    A school will be below the floor standard if its Progress 8 score is below -0.51, unless the confidence interval2 suggests that the school’s underlying performance may not be below average.

19. opalfeet

opalfeet Occasional commenter

Hahahahahhahhahahahah!

Do you work for Ofsted, you speak about them like they are some kind of competent and objective entity!

20. SportyK

We're aiming to hit 85% of all pupils at ARE used to be the old 4b for Reading Writing and Maths in KS2, primary. Our personal targets are 90%.