1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

U-turn on academisation

Discussion in 'Education news' started by TES_Jenna, May 6, 2016.

1. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

We'll have the cheaper unqualified teachers teaching larger classes with no TAs first.

delnon and emerald52 like this.
  2. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

3. DM

DM New commenter

I'm not sure this "U-turn" is good news. It might be actually be more divisive since the Government has announced that they will still force all schools in areas where the Local Authority is "failing" to academise. I wonder whether there will be any connection between LAs deemed to be "failing" and the political hue of the local Members of Parliament?

delnon likes this.
  4. blazer

blazer Star commenter

They should have listened and not announced the policy in the first place, then they wouldn't have to U turn at all.

Shedman likes this.
  5. TonyM19

TonyM19 New commenter

Like the Tory strongholds of Knowsley, Salford, St Helens, Blackpool etc? They've only backed down because their own heartland had started kicking off. All these LAs can prepare for full, forced academisation.

Shedman likes this.
  6. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

I doubt that very many members of the cabinet were aware of this policy before Osbo announced it in his budget including her ladyship. She was well and truly dropped in it and then forced to defend a disastrous policy she had little or no say in. Whatever's going on in cabinet there are some at the top stabbing colleagues in the back and setting others up to fail - or am I being too generous and the whole shower are simply bunglingly incompetent?

7. vannie

vannie Star commenter

Announced in the budget in order to distract us all from the fact that the economy, despite years of austerity, is still boogered and we were all about to get pickpocketed again. Backed away from because the back benchers of the 1922 committee could see it was a vote loser and threatened to withdraw their support. Nothing at all to do with government listening to reason. Everything to do with self interest. It will be re - presented in some form when the tories feel less vulnerable.

8. stupot101

stupot101 Established commenter

it will only be a matter of time before Academisation/Privatisation of schools occurs in the Uk.

This will probably be followed by 'teachers' employed on a 'pro-rata' basis, with no 'sick pay', 'holoday pay' etc.
    :mad:

delnon likes this.
  9. applecrumblebumble

applecrumblebumble Lead commenter

Absolutely this government did not listen to teachers, heads, parents or the TES. The tory MPs who would not support the academisation scheme changed the DFEs mind.

vannie likes this.
  10. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

Some Tory described her Morganship as 'a listening education secretary' on the radio earlier. good job the car wasn't moving at the time.

guinnesspuss, vannie and stupot101 like this.
  11. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

guinnesspuss likes this.
  12. delnon

delnon Lead commenter

Morality is the second casualty of politics. The second-oldest profession is more tawdry than the first.

13. vannie

vannie Star commenter

Well she may as well listen as she can't string a sentence together or spell.;)

14. slingshotsally

slingshotsally Star commenter

How long before she resigns and Toby Young steps in as education secretary?

SSS

15. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I don't think Nicky Morgan has yet realised that the trick is to listen to the voices outside her head. She needs to study her diagram more often:

[​IMG]

Hopefully she'll have more time to do this on the backbenches.

WJClarkson and Niamhycopter like this.
  16. opalfeet

opalfeet Occasional commenter

“It is not necessary to bring legislation to bring about blanket conversion of all schools to achieve this goal.”

In a statement on Friday, Morgan said: “I am today reaffirming our determination to see all schools become academies. However, having listened to the feedback from parliamentary colleagues and the education sector, we will now change the path to reaching that goal.”

Instead, the new legislation will include sweeping powers for the DfE to force schools in “underperforming” local authorities to convert to academy status. Those councils with successful track records will be able to continue to maintain their local schools.

Ray Gooding, the cabinet member for education on the Tory-led Essex county council who opposed the 2022 deadline, said: “We would much rather schools continue to choose for themselves whether to go down the academy route and I am pleased the government has listened.”

There will be a new provision for “unviable” local authorities to ask the DfE to convert schools into academies if the council can no longer support them.

There is about as much cause for celebration today as there was when Gove was no longer education minister.

It will still happen, this makes it clear, this u turn has been done to prevent teachers striking and widespread discontent amongst teachers, parents and even tory councillors. But, the intention is that the goal will be achieved, and it will- watch this space.

Now teachers are backing down and the government can get on with the dismantling of state education.

guinnesspuss, wanet, delnon and 2 others like this.
  17. slingshotsally

18. slingshotsally

19. stupot101

stupot101 Established commenter

20. secretsiren

secretsiren Star commenter

Having read the statement again, I'm now U-turning on my own good feeling about this. Good schools will still be forced to become academies if their LAs aren't considered Good or Outstanding which is a situation that can easily be manipulated by the DfE. It also means that LAs which have a lot of academies already will be forced out; again, this situation can easily be manipulated by the simple means of changing how many schools count as 'too few'.
    Plus the ideas about no parents as governors and Heads being allowed to award QTS on the basis of letting people just teach 'til the Head says they're good enough are still being pushed, both of which are not good ideas.
    This is academisation through stealth.