1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

U-turn on academisation

Discussion in 'Education news' started by TES_Jenna, May 6, 2016.

1. TES_Jenna

TES_Jenna New commenter

2. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

Excellent news - another climbdown!. Time for Nicky Morgan to go?

3. Benbamboo

Benbamboo Occasional commenter

1) I hate the whole u-turn phrase. If a government changes its mind because it realises it had a bad idea, I think that should be welcomed, not castigated, as it makes it all the more unlikely they will change their minds in the future.

2) They should have listened and made this decision so much earlier. The decision is welcome, the amount of time it took for them to realise the obvious pitfalls is embarrassing.

4. wanet

wanet Star commenter

A surprise, but interesting.

stupot101 likes this.
  5. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

I'm glad they've changed their minds and can't help but wonder if Nicky Morgan regrets her 'no reverse gear' speech.

Lara mfl 05 and Landofla like this.
  6. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

They will try to achieve it by other means. However, short term gain as it is, I'll take it. No one really believes academies are anything other than professionalization and an attack on working conditions. Under the new white paper, teacher training will be so worthless that England trained teachers won't be able to be employed in any other country. Already there are grades of unqualified and qualified that are teaching and could not teach in other countries. When other countries' teachers can come here and our teachers cannot emigrate and work elsewhere it does rather sum up our approach to the labour market.

opalfeet, delnon, Landofla and 4 others like this.
  7. sjk81

sjk81 New commenter

Completely agree, it will be more of a subtle approach rather than the sledgehammer of Gideon's budget announcement. The Guardian states that Morgan still wants schools to become academies but 'will not force them' (Snigger!). Then mentioned underneath that the DfE will be given new powers to force 'under-performing' schools to become academies. In other words, simply change the definition of under-performance and hey presto a lot more academies. Too late for one of my local schools (In Knowsley), which became an academy less than a month ago.

opalfeet, Lara mfl 05, delnon and 4 others like this.
  8. wanet

wanet Star commenter

I do wonder if the teacher shortage is deliberate. This then allows an arguement / need for unqualified teachers to fill the gap. Academies create their own teacher training scheme that ties trainees to that MAT.

9. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

Announced by Osbo in the budget (as much a surprise to her ladyship as the rest of us I'm sure), backed by David 'finish the job' Cameron and 'no reverse geared' by her ladyship herself, now it has come to this. Total, complete capitulation and yet another startling government U-turn. If her ladyship was a currency it would be the Zimbabwean dollar. A total embarrassment coupled with large quantities of own words to be eaten - watch out for a vacancy at the top of the DFE in the very near future.

10. man501

man501 New commenter

Odd how this news came out the day after Local Elections, especially when it says if a LA isn't doing a good enough job/can't do its job the Gov will force change...

delnon and stupot101 like this.
  11. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

Mercury, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus and Pluto are all currently retrograde. It's no wonder the tories are back-pedalling on so much and losing ground at the moment.

12. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  13. Futureleader

Futureleader Occasional commenter

The cancellation of the web chat was the first clue. Hooray. I put it all down to the TES

Lara mfl 05 and Middlemarch like this.
  14. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

A good day to bury bad news as the saying goes. However, there's a good few teachers who will delight in resurrecting the news of this calamitous U-turn for months to come.

Lara mfl 05, delnon and Middlemarch like this.
  15. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

Better still, why don't they trust teachers to give an honest opinion and offer informed advice before blundering in and then being forced to retreat?

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  16. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

17. secretsiren

secretsiren Star commenter

Brilliant news! Like a previous poster said, it's probably just a stay of execution but they really did over-reach themselves with that announcement. It wasn't in their manifesto, then there was a series of studies all supporting LA schools over academies in terms of educational outcomes, threats of industrial action by unions, parents voicing complaints loudly, and their own MPs disagreeing with them.

18. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

They have no interest in improving the education of the masses - rather the opposite. What they want is to engineer wealth production. Measured on this, they are doing brilliantly. As Wilshaw says, some are becoming very seriously wealthy.
    Education is expensive. You need to reduce the cost. The easiest way to do this is to hire less qualified teachers at lower rates of pay to teach the children of parents who won't vote for you. For me, that is immoral. Just because someone's parents are unemployed, or from a former industrial area or simply a Labour or Tory voter means nothing - they all deserve a decent qualified teacher. Their taxes (future) are worth just as much as any other and thus they deserve an equal education.

JeannieMc, delnon, stupot101 and 4 others like this.
  19. slingshotsally

slingshotsally Star commenter

I fear what they will do next.

They are under funding education such an extent that schools will go bankrupt and sold for a pound (BHS?) to carpetbaggers.

This is a little ominous.

JeannieMc, Shedman, opalfeet and 2 others like this.
  20. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

What has the TES done?