1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

U.S. Citizen Wanting to Teach in England

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by megweber1991, Jan 8, 2016.

  1. megweber1991

    megweber1991 New commenter

    Hello! I'm a U.S. citizen looking to come and teach in England. I have done my research and from what I understand, I need a sponsorship to come over to the U.K. to teach. This sponsorship requires a lot of commitment (financially and time) on both ends. Do you have any advice, recruitment agencies, or contacts that specialize in this avenue? Any information is greatly appreciated! Thank you.
  2. TheoGriff

    TheoGriff Star commenter

  3. sabrinakat

    sabrinakat Star commenter

    To add to Theo's new, revised and excellent guide...

    I am an American who has lived over here for 20 years, educated here and with postgraduate qualifications at Oxbridge, lots of university teaching (then EFL/TEFL part-time as I had a child) -- when I decided to return to secondary teaching, it was very tricky - I was lucky that my area of expertise is a slightly narrow niche, e.g. Classics and a school offered me a one-term temporary position but I was already famililar with the exams and curriculum, having some exposure about ten years before (part-time tutoring at a 6th form college) and worked my socks off; then turned into a one-year fixed term at another school (state) and now, cross fingers, have a 'permanent' job at a girls' independent, but...

    It is almost impossible to get a school to sponsor you - my husband holds dual Irish and British citizenship and the Home Office were very, very, very slow in finally granting me a Residence Card. They put every obstacle in my path and my MP had to get involved; I actually didn't need it but my school did (not very joined-up thinking by the Home Office, sigh.) I have a friend, who works at my school, who went through 18 months of trying to get a permit sorted and ultimately, the school did sponsor him.

    I absolutely do not want discourage you from coming to the UK, merely to state that it is very difficult to get a school to sponsor a foreign national and to pay the fees required for a work permit.

    Good luck (I got over here in the first place by studying, which might be an option for you so that you come, get a further qualification and perhaps look around at the types of schools, etc.) OR perhaps try supply (not sure if student visas now prohibit employment) to get a real feel.
    CWadd and Middlemarch like this.
  4. CWadd

    CWadd Star commenter

    Sabrinakat and TheoGriff's advice is excellent. Read it and take note.

    I would advise against agencies. They lure in with promise of jobs, only for the candidates to find that the jobs do not exist, or what does exist is supply work with no promise of a permanent post.

    It is also expected you have a degree in the subject you wish to teach if you want to teach Secondary. Its not a case of school's "liking it" - schools need to appoint people who will deliver results.

    Good luck.
    sabrinakat likes this.
  5. JL48

    JL48 Star commenter

    Sorry :(. Any way to delete?

    I mentioned the degree thing as a lot of US teachers that I have met don't necessarily have a degree in the field that they teach in. It seems to be less of an issue than in England or Australia.
  6. TheoGriff

    TheoGriff Star commenter



    Best wishes


Share This Page