1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

U of Brighton or Sussex University for PGCE?

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by mymintpark, Mar 6, 2019.

1. mymintpark

mymintpark New commenter

Hi, I'd love to hear from any recent or not so recent graduates from Brighton and Sussex what they made of their PGCE and if anyone has an opinion first or second hand as to which course is 'better' or preferable. (Secondary, MFL, in my case).

2. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

It's the placements, mentors and students that make the PGCE. It doesn't matter which uni you go to.

3. Bouncyb22

Bouncyb22 New commenter

Neither is 'preferable' to potential future employers. As someone who went to Sussex and had friends at Brighton (not MFL though) the main difference is the way the course is laid out in terms of time a uni and time at school.

At Sussex you start with 2(or 3?) weeks at uni before going into your school placement. You are at school from Monday until Thursday with every Friday at uni for basically the entire year. It isn't until after February half term that you go full time at school with only the odd Friday at uni. I personally really liked this as it gave me the opportunity to decompress and chat with fellow PGCE-ers in my subject.

At Brighton after your initial uni weeks you start with Monday to Wednesday at school and then Thursday and Friday at uni but that only continues until October half term I believe. You then have all week at your school with the odd week here and there at university. Some people prefer this because it gives you a more realistic view of what being a teacher (i.e. at school all the time) is like.

The other difference is the assignments. Brighton has more, smaller assignments whereas Sussex only has two large assignments that count towards the Masters level credits. Once again that just links to your preference although a lot of Brighton people were a little jealous that we finished work earlier than them in the year due to the timings of submissions.

I hope this helps!