1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Typing Progs

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by madhatter, May 14, 2011.

1. Does anyone use any good touch typing/ typing progs for increasing typing speed for laptop users or reluctant writers? I have been playing on the BBC Dancemat prog this morning which is fun (well I had fun) but wondered if any other progs existed out there that were good. I am currently looking at Englishtype which was apparently designed by the same person as Dance mat.

2. I've used EnglishType, and liked it. Useful assessment records, and pupils gain access to games as they work through the levels. Some complained it was boring - probably would say that about any typing program - and the other problem was getting them to accept that they could improve ("I can type already") But on the whole, it worked well.

3. The programme thatsome colleges use is called Mavis Beacon. Might be worth googling.

4. Thank you for the suggestions. I am currenty trialling a couple so hopefully have it up and running within the next few weeks.

5. flapfish

flapfish New commenter

My ASD offspring used Mavis Beacon and it was brilliant! By the time he left primary school could type faster than the school admin. It proved absolutely invaluable for later on and he typed his GCSEs where appropriate.

6. We've been recommended tuxtype which is free. I'd be interested in knowing which program you find most useful.