1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Typical!

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by Kittyhime, Jan 20, 2012.

1. I just received my first call for supply work since November, and I had to turn it down...
    They called at 8:30 to go to a school that is over an hour way (without rush hour traffic) when the school needed someone for before 9:30. Even better, it would have only been for the morning anyway. When I explained that there would be no way that I would be able to make it before 10, let alone 9:30 my agent was very understanding and admitted that it was a long shot to call me anyway and admitted that it would actually have been a waste of my time. Why, oh why, was my first call of the year one that I had no realistic way of fulfilling? If I'd have been notified even only half an hour before I might have just made it.
    Even though I know it was impossible for me to reach the school in the time they required I still feel really guilty and a little nervous about having turned the work down [​IMG]

2. I just received my first call for supply work since November, and I had to turn it down...
    They called at 8:30 to go to a school that is over an hour way (without rush hour traffic) when the school needed someone for before 9:30. Even better, it would have only been for the morning anyway. When I explained that there would be no way that I would be able to make it before 10, let alone 9:30 my agent was very understanding and admitted that it was a long shot to call me anyway and admitted that it would actually have been a waste of my time. Why, oh why, was my first call of the year one that I had no realistic way of fulfilling? If I'd have been notified even only half an hour before I might have just made it.
    Even though I know it was impossible for me to reach the school in the time they required I still feel really guilty and a little nervous about having turned the work down [​IMG]

3. ...dont let this make you feel guilty. I suspect it was also a long shot on their part as well.
    ...I do agree that agencies have extremely unrealistic expectations in terms of logistics. They should have known you were too far away.
    ...I am afraid this kind of call is par for the course, especially when things are as bad as they are at the mo

4. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Hard luck Kittyhime. It's so often the way!
    I say I haven'y had a single call since the start of the school year, but on reflecting I realised I did actually get one call back in Oct. I was on the loo, didn.t get there in time, but as it happened wouldn't have been able to do it as my surgery meant I couldn't drive. Only phone call I've had!

5. Thank you for the support, I don't know where I'd be most days without the TES forums and everyone who's on them [​IMG]

6. Dashed bad luck, Kitty. It's sod-ding typical.
    I was looking forward to starting work on Monday, covering sickness leave at a nice school. However, the person who is covering the ill person right now is continuing until half term. If the sick person is still off, the job is mine after half term. But until then I have to be content with being first on the school's list for day to day supply.
    Poo!

7. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Emmadrg Disappointing about the non-start on Monday.
    Whilst it makes sense for the present incumbent to keep the post for continuity, but, on the other hand, if the person does not return, you will take over and the children have yet another change just as they've settled down with this person. I'm sort of presuming that person isn't going to be available after half-term? Crazy to me. One of the most important factors for children to learn well is consistency.
    Still, hopefully there'll be lots of courses necessitating day to day supply!

8. You're right that consistency is very important. The school don't like this teacher in there now as she doesn't fit in well with the department and her teaching is apparently below their standards (as if mine will be any better!) so they wanted me to take over asap. Whilst I am disappointed I understand why they are keeping her, and I have my marking to keep me busy for the next two weeks. The school I've been in today might want me back on Monday if the teacher isn't back.
    There do seem to be lots of trips, moderating, standardising, courses, etc going on at the minute. Maybe a nasty lurgy or two. Hopefully something will come up next week, but I'm going to focus on marking for now. I'll have square eyes!

9. I did one of those calls a while back. I explained that driving in the rush hour to the other side of the city would take over an hour but the agency still promised the school I would be there for 9. Because I arrived late the school complained and the agency said I was "unreliable."
    It's probably in your best interests not to accept late calls unless you are sure that the school knows a realistic time for your arrival.

10. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

Its completely unrealistic for a school to make a late booking and expect to get someone in time for the school day, likewise its wrong for the agency to guarentee that a teacher will be able to make it on time. As far as I know the teleport system as used on "Star Trek" is not currently avaliable in Comet/PC World.
    I've had a few late bookings this week but both my agencies and the schools involved had realistic expectations of when I could arrive. If I think its going to take an unaceptable time to reach the school I feel it best to turn it down and explain why rather then being labelled "unreliable".