1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Txxxx Hxxx Payment Changes

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by ogover, Mar 31, 2020.

1. ogover

ogover New commenter

Hello all,

Has anyone else had a massive drop off (since before Coronavirus) in business since xxxxx xxxx changed their payment policy?

On my profile it looks like I've whacked my fees up by 20%.

Thanks

Mrsmumbles and aftes like this.
  2. jean_daligault

jean_daligault New commenter

Uptick for me actually. Most of my students are short term, I'm happier with the new fees than I was with the forced free first hour.

3. becca3471

becca3471 New commenter

That free first hour is why I'm refusing to use TH's online platform. I find the idea of working for free a real insult.

I was interested to know though, if you are currently on the old, one off payment for parents model and you change your profile to allow (their) online tutoring, does it move your offline tutoring into their fee model? I have updated my profile to say I can tutor online but TH won't let you advertise as an online tutor without being on THEIR platform so obviously I'm only coming up in local searches.

DonutBoy99 and misssunflower2 like this.
  4. misssunflower2

misssunflower2 New commenter

I’ve just discovered the answer to your question as I emailed them last night. If you were on the old system for f2f tuition, they now move you to the new booking system if you want to go online. I don’t really want to charge families an extra 25% so that means I’d have to lower what I come out with. Think I’ll try and advertise through my Facebook page for now and then go to Hunt Tutor as a plan B. There’s so much competition online it’s unreal!

Last edited: Apr 1, 2020
    aftes likes this.
  5. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

@misssunflower2 : TH confirmed the same thing to me, when I emailed them. If you go on to its online payment system it will also affect your face-to-face tuition, in the future. 25% commission is an absolute rip off, leaving with the cloice of charging your students more, or taking significant pay cut. Being greedy might well blow up in TH's face, as it deters tutors for working for it, and students from using them.

aftes, DonutBoy99 and misssunflower2 like this.
  6. lynden7

lynden7 New commenter

I think all the agencies charge that amount. :(

7. misssunflower2

misssunflower2 New commenter

I was looking at Super Prof last night and I think they may still do the system of charging the student to get your details instead. Anyone with them to confirm?

aftes likes this.
  8. phatsals

phatsals Established commenter

first tutors charge tutees for your details, but that's it. No ongoing charges unless you want to use their online system.

ellenlilymay and aftes like this.
  9. gainly

gainly Lead commenter

Do they allow you to do that without registering as an online tutor?

aftes likes this.
  10. CloudsTES

CloudsTES New commenter

Hiya - I've just double checked with FT, and they suggest the below:

Our finder's fee business model applies to all tutors who provide face to face tuition, online tuition, or both. First Tutors is a completely free service for tutors and you never pay us any commission or charges.

Obviously, not the case with TH!

aftes likes this.
  11. jean_daligault

Indeed SP and FT are the two I know that do not charge percentage fees, only one off fees to tutees. Among other sites, THs 25% (which is actually 20% of the total) is fine (25 to 33% of the total price for those I'm on).

12. ychowdhury

ychowdhury New commenter

Good thread. I'm annoyed that they have taken my search offline. Tbh, I dont want to teach online anyway, so why cant they just keep me on the old model? Will they allow me to stay on the old model?

aftes likes this.
  13. gainly

gainly Lead commenter

If you joined TH before April 1st last year you can remain on the old model for now if you don't offer online tuition. However they are planning to move everyone onto the commission model eventually, although I don't know when.

aftes likes this.
  14. gainly

gainly Lead commenter

Has anyone used SP and got students from it? Most of the "tutors" advertising on SP are actually school children charging £10/hr or less. I'm not sure if there would be any point a proper tutor advertising there.

aftes likes this.
  15. aftes

aftes New commenter

Good thread, I agree. TH have behaved appallingly. I made the mistake with TH of considering (only) their online tutoring, only starting to click to see what was involved. But as more and more questions were being asked of me to agree and commit to, I wanted to abandon the process of switching to online. You cannot. Now? I cannot see my Dashboard, nor access or answer ANY enquiry, online or offline. TH have not replied to two emails asking for assistance. My advice to others is: only start the process of switching to online in TH, if you are 100% certain you are happy to now stop offline coaching altogether. My 100% response rate in <2 hours over 5+ years has now gone up in smoke. I will probably leave TH now. To hike a tutors' prices by 25% on their profile page without first informing them is an awful way to treat tutors who have been with them for years. I agree @Jolly_Roger15 that, being greedy, might well blow up in TH's face since it will deter tutors for working for it.

16. jean_daligault

SuperPxxxxx has been my best site, although I haven't had contacts from there recently.

17. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

I’ve gone along with it as I suspect that if lockdown continues, parents may take the hit to get a good entrance exams coach and the consistency through to the exam sitting. Has t9 be more as I am not going to drop my rate! Greedy opportunists! But advertise your own rate at around £40 per hour as this is what I feel we all should get, roughly, and, with the agency commissions, self employed at £50 is now a far better deal for parents. It is all going to go up soon...have also accepted now that there will be more ebb and flow as things change. Darn it.

18. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

Still have not had any takers on the new platform though! Their camera looked ok. Nit sure how secure any of them are, though. I may move over to a phone based app.

19. humbug

humbug New commenter

Has anyone been in touch with Trading Standards about TH?

I did a few searches for the legal side of tutoring agencies after I found a few dodgy ones asking for membership payments from rotors (which btw is definitely no allowed).

Anyway, in searching, I found a legal article that said it is ok to get tutors to pay commission to an organisation, but it seemed to think it was not ok to take a fee from a client for a tutor's work, and then pay the tutor at a later date. So even though they can take commission, I'm not sure they are doing it the right way.

20. ellenlilymay

ellenlilymay New commenter