1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Txt spk

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lunarita, Dec 22, 2011.

1. lunarita

lunarita Established commenter

I hate it. Thx, 4, u etc. I just hate it.

But why do people write 'yeah' I (just saw it). It's got more letters for heaven's sake!

Just had to say it.

2. lunarita

I hate it. Thx, 4, u etc. I just hate it.

But why do people write 'yeah' I (just saw it). It's got more letters for heaven's sake!

Just had to say it.

3. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Because I'd say it?

4. Captain Obvious

Captain Obvious New commenter

Autcomplete? (ftw?)
    k thx bai
    *cough*
    I write things out properly, no matter the medium. Although I prefer "Yup" as an affirmative...it's even the same length while remaining relevant to speech!

5. I hate it too. In days of yore when I was courting, I would not see any chap who used text speak. Also hate people using the term 'hun' to refer to me - yuck.

6. henriette

henriette New commenter

my daughter (age 12) uses " yh" for yes - not sure what the added h gives?

7. Captain Obvious

Captain Obvious New commenter

I assume you pronounce it "Yeah".

8. y on it's own is 'why'

9. lunarita

I'm glad it's not just me

10. OMG thts jst lke sooooo rbsh. Txt tlk kinda h8s vowels. Innit mate. ROFLMAO LOL
    Also, don't write "lol" if you are not actually laughing out loud. If it is that funny that you are laughing out loud then it's much more fun to talk to someone about it than text someone.

It also annoys me when people who you don't actually know call you mate. A) I don't know you. B) I'm not a boat.

The most annoying thing which makes my blood boil has to be the little i. Now, I know that I drill this into my class at primary and that it is drilled in every year at school so there is no excuse for fully grown adults to be i'ing all over their sentence! GER!

11. lardylady

lardylady Star commenter

I also despise the use of 'lol'. 'Hun' is just as bad. I also want to punch anyone who ends a post with a kiss. [​IMG]

12. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

I don't mind lol or xx when it's meant.

What I do mind is the people who put things that they just don't mean!

13. I hate hun - which is why I use it when posting here. To me it denotes a post intended to be dripping with sarcasm.

14. kareneliot

kareneliot Occasional commenter

With predictive text, keyboards and BBM, txt spk seems to be fading away,

15. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Lead commenter

Agree with all three points there.

16. dw hun lol xx

Doesn't that just make you want to reach for a shotgun?!

17. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

yeah
    is different from yes, it extends the tone from the particular to the general

xx

18. Text speak was once a great idea - when you could only send a tiny amount of text in one message and they cost a fortune to send. I never really got into it, but things like u, 2, c, b, y, l8r were useful...
    Now, there's really no need. You can send pages of text and it all comes out of our inclusive text allowance (and anyone who texts a lot, will have a high texting threshold).
    I can't understand why anyone would use it when typing on a keyboard either. It would take me twice as long to write this in 'txt spk' as it would to type it out fully.
    hmmm...maybe that explain why the kids I teach take forever to write their essays on the computer...