1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Two years out of the classroom - would I need a refresher?

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by dav1970, Feb 12, 2018.

1. dav1970

dav1970 New commenter

Hi - I’ve been out of the year 6 classroom for almost two years now (Circumstances in my personal life meant a return to my old career in IT). Call me insane but I’m yearning for it again at the ripe age of 48. I was a year 6 teacher for 6 years, literacy leader and acting deputy head. If I considered applying for jobs for a September start, do you think I would need some kind of curriculum refresher course? Or has not a great deal changed since May 2016? Thanks for your time, D

2. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

You're insane.;)
    Stuff has changed since 2016, but not that much. Spend a couple of hours with the right practitionier and you'll see what's changed. See if you can go into a school for a couple of days.

I'm saddened slightly at the premise of this post - that a mature and experienced teacher has been suckered into believing that two years out of the job renders them half out of date and past it,.
    Children are still children. 9x7 is stiil 63 (unless you're a politician).

3. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Go and do something else - stay away from teaching.

dav1970 likes this.
  4. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

God advice and I doubt there are any 'refresher courses' running these days. You have enough experience t be able to do te research needed to 'update' yourself'

However you may need to think about the realities of going straight in as a Yr 6 teacher. Most schools like 'known entities' in such an important year and you may have to start in another year group. Is that still an attractive proposition? If not, as peakster suggest you may not be ready for a return to teaching.

pepper5 and dav1970 like this.
  5. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

Try supply & earn while you learn. Many schools will require you to be little more than cover and you will have access to SOWs &c.

JohnJCazorla, pepper5 and dav1970 like this.
  6. dav1970

dav1970 New commenter

Thanks for your reply and yes, it is sad! Why do they have to keep changing the goalposts? Somebody asked me yesterday if I would need a refresher or something along those lines and I said that I sincerely hope not - I could teach a class of 30 right now no matter what the subject. But that’s the reality of our beloved profession isn’t it? Anyway, appreciate that response. Got a long time to think this through thankfully! D

7. dav1970

dav1970 New commenter

Thanks for that. I actually don’t want to go back to year 6. Before I left I dipped into early years for a week or two (year 2) and I absolutely loved it. So if I did return, I’d be hankering for years 2 to 4 if I could. D

8. dav1970

dav1970 New commenter

Ha ha! Succinct and to the point there!

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  9. Lara mfl 05

ooh apologies for the typo.:oops: Should of course read Good advice.;)

I'm having problems again with my keyboard and mouse this morning and spell-checking is difficult and taking a time.:(

10. phlogiston

You got a side-line as a prophet then?

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  11. Lara mfl 05

;)

12. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Excellent idea...Year 3 is the absolute best!
    Just start applying, many schools are advertising already for September.

dav1970 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  13. phlogiston