1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

two year rolling program - help!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by mollyonion, Jul 24, 2011.

1. I have returned from maternity leave and have been informed that from September, I will be planning with the year 2 teacher (I will have year 1 class). We will be setting up a rolling program to cover the 2 years. I understand we will be covering the same topics and can see the benefits to this. I am struggling to understand the need to plan this way for literacy and numeracy, I really want to carry on with scale points for children who have not yet achieved 78 +6 from EYFS and not be pushed into teaching year 2 units with year one children. Can anyone out there help enlighten me on the benefits of this type of planning in a year one only class?
    Thanks

2. I agree with you. The way it is working in my school is we have a two year rolling program covering year 1 and 2 topics for science and the foundation subjects (creative curriculum) but literacy and numeracy are separate from this. Perhaps you could suggest this?

3. Pros: Planning with someone else is a good idea - you can bounce ideas off each other but I can't see why you'd need a 2 year program for Literacy and Numeracy with single age classes. We have to because we have split classes. Teaching Y1/ Y2 units - you could look at the mixed age planning here
    http://www.lancsngfl.ac.uk/nationalstrategy/literacy/index.php?category_id=289

Since in our classes / most classes, some of the Y1 will be brighter than Y2 and some Y2 will be at an average Y1 level I tend to look at the objectives and differentiate. We have layered targets for different AFs so you can see where they must be or should be or even could be for each Year group for things like sentence structure and punctuation. You could even use Ros Wilson's levelled pyramid with punctuation and examples of connectives, sentence starters and vocabulary
    Cons - if you are not careful you can be wanting the same resources at the same time.

4. We do this. At first I had the same concerns about progression, but when you actually look at the units there's very few of them that require prior units in order to be taught. You can just adapt what you do within them.
    The only part I dont like doing this with is the non-fiction - I think this HAS to have labels, lists and captions in Y1 and not in Y2. But we get around it by just doing that in the first couple of weeks in Y1 and going straight into instructions with Y2. All the other units can just be taken loosely, and differentiated to suit the year group.
    To be honest we are moving further and further away from the units - they are too rigid. We're going to try and do Fiction/Non-fiction and Poetry within each of our topics - and within that we are trying to incorporate Pie Corbett's ideas, particularly the storytelling and actions.