1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Two weeks off during term time

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by Bluecloud, Jun 12, 2011.

1. Hi,
    I'm new here, I've just got my first ever job as a teaching assistant, starting in September.
    It is my dream job and I am so happy I've been chosen however we booked our family holiday 6 months ago to go abroad and it's during term time (this is before I even started looking for a job). What do you think my chances are to be given unpaid leave as we've already paid for flights and put down a deposit for accommodation and will loose hundreds of pounds if we have to cancel?
    What are the rules for teaching assistants having time off during term time?
    Thanks!

2. picsgirl

picsgirl New commenter

Did you inform them of this on your application form or at the interview?
    I know in my school you cannot have time off (unless it's an emergency) but if you already informed them then they would have taken it into consideration.

3. Hi, I'm hoping you mentioned your holiday plans during your application and interview process. In my current school it's hard enough to get a day off for a family wedding, never mind a holiday. So, if you haven't already done so, talk to your prospective head asap. Maybe your airline will allow you to alter your flights (there may be a small charge) if your head is unhappy about your plans and you didn't mention your prospective holiday at the interview.
    Well done on getting your job though.

4. I'm guessing it wasn't shared at interview otherwise the question would have been answered by now. You have to speak to your HT as soon as possible and they may consult governors. Term time leave can happen (at the discretion of the HT) but maximum notice should be given.

5. Thanks for your replies everyone - I worried this would be the case. I didn't tell them about the holiday at the interview as it didn't occur to me it would be a problem (I have many years experience working in the corporate world where when you take holiday was never an issue) and to be honest the last thing I was thinking of at the interview was holiday, it only hit me when they called me with the offer and I spoke to my other half!
    There is no contest between holiday and the job as to which one is more important, I'm just gutted we'll loose all that money and end up with no holiday this year as won't be able to afford anything else especially with July/Aug prices. Still, I'm over the moon with my new job.
    Thanks again!

6. picsgirl

picsgirl New commenter

Speak to the HT - you never know, they may honour it.
    Secondly speak to the travel company to see if you can change the dates - I had to do this many years ago, I started a new job (not in a school) and they could not honour the fortnight I had booked so I ended up changing to a week later in the year to a different desination - at least it was a break ( I had to pay an admin fee).

7. Well done on getting the job!
    I have an interview for a TA next week, and I also have a 2 week holiday booked for the first 2 weeks of december! It's my boyfriends mum's wedding and I'm one of the witnesses, so not something I could miss. Would you recommend telling them of this at the interview next week? Hope it wouldn't ruin any chances of me getting the job though!

8. Hi, good luck at the interview! I spoke to the HT, she was fantastic and is happy to let me have those two weeks unpaid, I am so grateful as it means we still get to have our family holiday this year. I did tell her though that the job was so much more important to me than the holiday and that I would cancel the holiday if need be and I really meant it.
    It's difficult in your case as you can't really cancel it or not go so I think it would only be fair to tell them at the interview, perhaps when they ask at the end if you have any questions for them, just to check what their policies are like. Are you able to offer something in return like taking a week off rather than two?
    I honestly didn't think there would be a chance for me to be allowed this time off, especially after reading on different forums how it's not really standard practice. But as my case shows you never know until you ask and it might work out for you too.
    Good luck!

9. I was in a similar position a few years ago when I applied for a position in a school but had already booked 2 weeks away for a close friends wedding. I mentioned it at the interview and they were happy to let me have it as unpaid leave. I have heard of cases where people have not been allowed to go so would say definitely mention it during your interview.

Good luck :)

10. Well I had the interview today, and at the end when they asked if I had any other questions, I told them about my 2 week holiday in December. It mustn't have done me too much harm because I got the Job! And Im soooo glad I told them about it now, save worrying if I hadnt!