1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Two weeks left .....

Discussion in 'Retirement' started by littlevanner, Jul 4, 2020.

1. littlevanner

littlevanner New commenter

I am retiring at the end of this term after more than 16 years in total of headship. I have been looking forward to this moment for so long and yet as the time approaches I find I am increasingly sad and tearful . I am trying to work out how much Covid has impacted on this in that we are unable to go through the usual motions to mark the event - or is this a natural response?

It looks like they are planning a presentation in the playground which I’m not sure about but staff are keen to do. I feel like running for the hills if I’m honest !

I’d be interested to know what other leavers are doing .

2. djhappy

djhappy New commenter

In a very similar position. Retiring after 32 years from the role of SLT. I know a virtual leavers meeting is planned - and I feel the same as you - my internet connection might go down on that afternoon. The emotions have been incredible. I feel all sorts of loss.
    I have been asked to go back part-time next year which I agreed, but I'm not even sure of that now.

3. cricketgirl

cricketgirl New commenter

Me too. I decided to take early retirement before the COVID-19 pandemic, and I’m happy to be going. As the SENCO and an SLT member the last few months have been relentless and I have much respect and sympathy for all colleagues in the coming months. I suspect ‘something’ is planned to mark my retirement, but I’m content to walk out of the door without any fanfare - I’m looking forward to whatever comes next!

4. brook123lyn

brook123lyn New commenter

My husband and I both going after 35 years teaching each . Can’t wait! Have been physically tired up til March and emotionally exhausted trying to be professional and flexible up til now . Talk about old dogs new tricks
    Of course it’s not the way we would have wanted but we alive , got a pension coming and blessed to have our family safe and well . Capable teachers taking our roles with so much energy!! Got a TEAMS goodbye session on the Friday and prosecco in our local park too. Be kind to yourself first , it’s going to take a real period of readjustment for us all . Bloody WELL DONE all of you

5. littlevanner

I think you’re right it will take some adjustment not least because we can’t really do all the things from September that we had hoped to do !
    As you say we all keep well ! If the second wave hits in Autumn I will be relieved not to have to manage it all - the last term has been very tricky especially trying to look after all the staff and their needs.

brook123lyn likes this.
  6. seasoned

seasoned Occasional commenter

I took early retirement in December 2017 at the age of 58 with 37 years' service - I have no regrets & it's one of the best decisions I've ever made. My plan for early retirement was not to make any plans and every day I just enjoy the freedom it has given me. Although I enjoyed my career; for me retirement from teaching meant exactly that - with absolutely no interest or intention of returning to the classroom or being involved in schools anymore. My teaching career in well and truly in the past and I'm thoroughly enjoying the next chapter in my life; I haven't got loads of money but I have sufficient funds and a guaranteed income from my pension to fund my lifestyle. Life's sweet...!!! Congratulations to everyone and all the best for the future..!!!

7. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Yes, I retired two years ago, at 59. Then I retired again this year at 61. My advice to the OP would be to make a list of all the things that you want to do with your retirement. Then perhaps you will not feel lonely or bored. Schools are frantic places and often we want to escape from them, when we are up to our ears in parents' meetings and marking exam papers. Then we feel flat and deflated when we do finally escape from school and then we find ourselves missing the buzz and the interaction.

One of the best ways to keep yourself busy is a woodburning stove.

winter small6.jpg

8. littlevanner

Thank you to everyone for your good wishes - I think that’s a good idea Hippo - I have loads to keep me busy but a Covid friendly plan will help with focus !

9. thejudgesscoresarein

thejudgesscoresarein Occasional commenter

I’m retiring too after 23 years as HT! I did have plans (pre COVID) , however have had to scrap them! Will instead send a card/email to every member of staff individually to thank them for their support over the years.
    I’d come back at Christmas to say goodbye but I fly out to Tenerife for 6 months in September! I own a villa out there which I’m planning to sell. I did have my house on the market (and sold it) in the UK, but the sale fell through, so I’m going to enjoy an extended holiday, and then sell both properties next year as we plan to relocate to the Devon Coast.
    Always fancied running a hotel / B&B- might purchase one and run for 10 years or so before retiring completely!

10. cofiboy

cofiboy New commenter

I am also retiring in just under two weeks time after 36 years of teaching. Oddly enough I have been following this thread for the last year just to gauge what other people have been doing and this is my first post. All the paperwork has now been done but as I've been shielding have not been back at school since March and so it's a really odd feeling. Of course I have been working remotely in all that time and therefore can't say goodbye to the students face to face which is a shame but I can always go back!! Saying that I have plenty of plans and I might do some work next year but will wait and see how things turn out with the COVID-19. No rush to get back into it.

11. AlwaysAdaptable

AlwaysAdaptable New commenter

I have been following this thread to. Some of you are so lucky that the the staff in their schools including SLT have so much respect for them. But not in my school.

Bedlam3 likes this.
  12. rcecil1

rcecil1 New commenter

I’m on countdown too. 7 more getups. I’m sole deputy in a small secondary. Everything now feels rather surreal as I’m doing Complicated planning for a COVID return that I won’t see and may not happen anyway. Playing fantasy schools! At Christmas when I decided, it was all a brilliant plan and contained some exciting prospects and ideas. Today I’m wobbly!

13. catmother

catmother Star commenter

I hope you realize how much hard work that is!

wayside34 and Lara mfl 05 like this.