1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Two week timetable and part time workers?

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by bettycom, Nov 28, 2011.

1. Hi, we have been informed that we are moving to a two week timetable next year. If someone worked 0.4it could work out that they may do Monday/Weds one week and Friday/Thurs the next week causing infinite disruption to their life. Can school just make a person work this way? What if they have other committments? Any advice greatly received.

2. As I understand it - yes unless the contract states that they are employed for specific days as opposed a certain time factor.

3. Thanks, I feared as much :(

4. On the plus side, though it may seem like dusruption now, as it would have to have some form of organsiatio, the teachers concerned would need to know in advance - I would have thought reasonably half a term - so it could be a win-win as they would have some very long weekends tto benefit froma nd maybe able ot get things done that is not always the case if restricted to certain days...

5. Georgia99

Georgia99 New commenter

I know it isn't quite the same but my HOD is 0.8. She used to work 4 days a week but this academic year was timetabled for 5 days a week with 2 of them being half days to keep her at 0.8.
    She was obviously quite mad as she liked a day off rather than travelling in for a 5th day but after union involvement she found that they were perfectly within their right to do it.
    I would have been quite angry and can understand how you are feeling!

6. frustum

frustum Lead commenter

It's probably worth trying to get some discussion with management about the impact of a two week timetable now, before it gets to timetabling stage.
    Some fortnightly timetables are very similar between the two weeks, so that where a class have an even number of lessons in the fortnight, they are at the same times in each week. Then there might be a few lessons which alternate between the two weeks. With that sort of structure, it may be relatively easy to give part-timers the same hours in both weeks.
    It will be very difficult for parents to arrange childcare if the days are different in the two weeks. I think you need to ask how different the two weeks are expected to be, and what priority will be given to making part-timers' timetables similar in the two weeks. And when will days be determined? (They need to know that if people simply cannot get the requisite childcare, they may have no choice but to leave, even if it's July and that means breaking contract.)
    Of course, similar problems arise for people who are part-time and working elsewhere for the rest of the week - it's not just parents.
    One thing that's always worth pointing out is that while they can usually legally foist whatever timetable they like on an existing part-timer, if the timetable is awkward then they may look for other posts, and a messy part-time timetable advertised mid-year is not necessarily going to attract much of a field.
    Hopefully, if concerns are raised now, management can look at a nearly-the-same-both-weeks model.