1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

Dismiss Notice

Two thirds of early years staff suffer from back and joint problems

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by gailrobinson, Apr 3, 2011.

1. Lilliputian children's furniture, extra-low sinks and sitting on the
    floor with pupils are leading to serious health problems among staff in
    primary and early-years classrooms, research has found.
    There's a full report on the issue in this week's TES.
    Read the full article - A pain in the class

2. I teach reception and it's the sinks and chairs that get me as I'm quite tall. My back is always in bits by the end of term...and I keep the local chiropractor in business.

3. It was the main reason that I would have forced my old school to remove my teacher's desk and chair over my cold, dead, body! My back could stand up to the teaching day of being up and down onto reception-sized chairs - but I needed the adult sized space for doing paperwork during breaks and the like or I WAS in agony.

4. Good grief so sorry to hear this!!
    I feel very lucky that I taught for so many years and have no resulting problems!!

5. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

Some of this is partly my fault in not looking after my back in the early days, such as not bending my knees to lift and poor posture etc. To be fair it is only since teaching nursery it has been a problem, I never had an issue with reception and KS1. Think pregnancy and difficult labour aggrevated it too and my family is prone to joint wear and tear. Still obviously not the best job to be in if you do have these issues!

6. Funnily enough when I was in my 20s I was in hospital for a week flat on my back,whatever the problem it was never diagnosed and I have never had a problem since.??!

7. mystery10

mystery10 Occasional commenter

Goodness. Why would the headteacher have had the adult-sized desk removed from one of the earlier posters?
    You are all so nice and deferential to the dim-wits that seem to be in charge of some you, who can't see beyond some half-baked idea they got off some course somewhere or other taught by another nitwit!!
    If my desk were removed, I'd have another one put back in, purchased cheap off e-bay, and sue the school for the cost of it along with the physiotherapy bills.

8. Msz

Msz Established commenter

because we don't need a desk as we don't sit at them ... adult sized chairs are another thing. My head bought me an ergonomic chair.

9. Msz

The children took it to pieces but that's another story

10. but you shouldn't be leaning over tiny chairs or stooping at sinks. This is not good back care. You ought to have equipment at the right hright or you should be adapting your position i.e. kneeling - of course with supportive flooring so as not to strees your knees.

11. See my desk was a godsend at the end of the day when doing paperwork and the like - it was never so much chair height that did for my back as table height for out-of-teaching-hours work.
    Mind you - I have a permanent line of bruises from catching my legs on small person sized tables... those pointy half-hexagon ones have it in for me I swear... those corners just wait malevolently lurking waiting for their chance to strike!

12. Msz

I rarely do paperwork in the classroom

13. mystery10

Some teachers do need to do work in their classroom where sitting at a full-size desk and chair or table and chair would be beneficial. Some schools do not have a staff-room with a working area, and many people prefer to get it done before and after school at school than take it all home.
    Why would a reception class teacher need a desk any more or less than a year 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 or 6 teacher?

14. Msz

I don't have a desk in Y2 and I didn't have a desk in KS2 so you are asking the wrong person. I don't see a need for a desk at school.

15. mystery10

But presumably that is your personal preference to do preparation, marking etc at home?

16. Earl Davids wife

Earl Davids wife New commenter

We got rid of all teachers' desks because there really was no room for them in the over crowded classrooms. I've had sciatica on and off for years and at the end of every day, after bending over small tables, there would always come a point when it was one bend too many and I couldn't straighten up. I'd walk half way across the room before I was anything other than at right angles to floor - not very funny [​IMG]

17. Msz

I mainly mark in school after the children go home and spend the time they are in the class teaching them rather than being trapped behind a desk.

18. I have to admit I do have a desk, although I never sit at it during the school day! I personally need somewhere to put: all the bits of paper handed to me, work in progress, resources half finished, bits of notes... to avoid me loosing them in the abyss of the children's domain! Also my laptop is on there.

19. Msz

I have a pipe (think it contains wiring) running down the wall next to the IWB and is perfect for holding all those important bits and pieces [​IMG] now with a desk I find it just gets piled up and up and up ...

20. mystery10

So you have a suitable place to sit and mark and plan before and after school - many schools don't.