1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Two subjects without TRL or extra time

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by thekillers1, Oct 9, 2019.

1. thekillers1

thekillers1 Lead commenter

If someone is in charge of two subjects, one is maths another is a foundation curriculum subject in an all through primary school (one class intake), what is the legal standing?

2. LeChiffre

LeChiffre New commenter

Not sure what you mean. I’m in exactly this position in the same kind of school. No TLR, no extra time.

thekillers1 likes this.
  3. phatsals

phatsals Established commenter

Exactly. R-Y6, 7 classes, 7fte teachers. On that basis alone, everyone is going to be subject lead for at least one area, more usually two. You will usually also have lead for KS1 and KS2 and Senco. Sorry but no TLR usually except for SEN and leads.

You may get extra time when you need it (ask) but not regular extra PPA time.

4. GirlGremlin

GirlGremlin Occasional commenter

It's part and parcel of being primary isn't it?

5. thekillers1

thekillers1 Lead commenter

#Ofstedsucks

6. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

(assuming it’s STPCD and your contract doesn’t have anything unusual in it...)

You’re not entitled to anything. However, most primaries would pay some form of TLR for leading either maths or English, and most would allow some release time, though not necessarily on a regular basis.

To a degree it depends on what exactly the role involves - are you required to monitor books/lessons and coach teachers, do you need to source/write a SoW, do you need to prepare and deliver whole-school CPD? If you’re doing this type of thing then it’s fair to expect time out and additional pay. If you’re not, then it isn’t...

7. RepelloInimicum

RepelloInimicum Lead commenter

I do/have done all of the above. No extra pay. Release time when I ask for it.

thekillers1 likes this.