1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Two subjects in the one class...

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by Goldopals, Mar 30, 2012.

1. I have had a horrible term trying to teach the same content, but differentiated activities, to my year 10s and it is not working at all. It is now nearing the end of the first term and I am having to take drastic measures. In year 11, my year 10s will be doing one of "Pure" or "Applied" Maths and I will be dividing the class in two and teaching them content specific to their choices for year 11.
    This will mean that I will be teaching two subjects in the same class, with almost totally unrelated content. I have been supported in this decision by the HOD and HT. I have taught different subjects in the one class before, but there were few students, which made it a lot easier to deal with the added pressures.
    I have a few ideas about how I will handle this, but would like some advice from teachers in similar circumstances. In smaller country schools it is common to combine year levels. You might end up teaching Year 11 and 12 English, Year 11 and 12 Maths Applications, or Year 11 and 12 Chemistry.
    I have come to a definite decision today only, so have not had the chance to do too much planning. The new structure will start next term, and I am going to give the students a survey to gauge reactions and to give me ideas in planning.
    I do apologise that I do not have any concrete ideas to share with you so far. I have so many ideas whirling around in my head, but have not thought them out enough to share them in a logical manner. My thanks in advance!

2. DM

DM New commenter

You need to explain this further. Which country are you in and what qualifications are these?

3. For me I would spend most of the initial time building an understanding and level of repsect and trust from the kids to ensure a fruitful working environment.
    My approach would be would be staggered.
    Split the class into A and B
    Teach A a topic in lesson 1
    Teach B a topic in lesson 2 whilst A are working independently on the topic you did last lesson to consolidate.
    Teach A a new topic in lesson 3 whilst B are working independently on the topic you did last lesson to consolidate.
    and so on and so on.
    You are only ever teaching one class and merely supporting the others.

4. Thanks for your advice! It is good to hear from someone who has done this as well.