1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Two students in same lesson

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by Lespaul101, Oct 10, 2019.

1. Lespaul101

Lespaul101 New commenter

How much is extra is acceptable to charge for a lesson teaching two students? I’ve had a request for this , both in same year group I think it is two parents clubbing together. I’m fully booked really so not sure I will take them on anyway but was wondering how much extra to charge if I do. I’d rather keep lessons one to one really for maximum benefit to student.

2. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

I would have thought a 20% reduction per student would be fair. So instead of e.g. £50 an hour for the two it is £40. For each parent that is a huge 20% reduction from the normal rate. Over ten sessions that’s a free session.

3. gainly

gainly Lead commenter

I would only take on two students together if they were at a similar level in the same school so I could teach both together. I know some tutors do two students together at different levels and switch between the two but I wouldn't do that.

Assuming this to be the case, I'd give a discount of about a third. So if normal rate £30 I'd charge £20 each. This would give me a higher hourly rate and not really any more work to teach two together. Important to make it clear that if one student is absent and the other wants a lesson they must pay the normal rate for a single student.

4. alsoamum

alsoamum Occasional commenter

I charge £34 ph 1:1 and £22 per child for paired. The extra covers extra printing , planning and hassle/communication with 2 parents instead of 1.

I not do paired for children who know each other and are the same age/level. The parents have to come to me with a partner rather than me pairing them up.

5. tsarina

tsarina Occasional commenter

I tried it once, total disaster, they were good friends but both were insecure, high achieving girls. One was much quicker to respond to questions but didn't think deeply, and had to be guided to a better answer, the other was slower to respond but had a better grasp of the content, she asked more astute questions when she didn't understand. Individually i could have helped both of them, but with the two together, they both felt stupid, no matter what I said, as they thought the other was better.

6. Lespaul101

Lespaul101 New commenter

Thanks for the replies. I’ve decided to offer a 25% discount but will enquire whether they are at similar level first. I will also make it clear that I don’t usually take two students in same lesson as it is not as effective as one to one tuition.

7. Kateray1

Kateray1 Occasional commenter

I don’t do doubles, and would expect full price for each.

8. langteacher

langteacher Occasional commenter

Make it clear what happens in the event one of them is sick in terms of who pays what

alsoamum likes this.