1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Two questions - Religious reference and Reapplying for a job I previously turned down.

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by zozo1, Apr 25, 2012.

1. zozo1

zozo1 New commenter

Hi everyone!
    Two years ago I was applying for jobs as an NQT. A perfect school popped up in a brilliant area - naturally I applied - and I was over the moon to get an interview. However, I also got an interview for a good school that was three days before dream school and was offered the job. Not willing to take risks on possibly not getting dream job and then having nothing, I took the other school and phoned up dream school telling them I already had a job and so unfortunately had to cancel the interview with them. Fast forward two years - another job has come up at dream school and I'm starting to get itchy feet at the school I am currently at as it has changed drastically this year, in ways I am not keen on. I am going to apply for dream job as I have always wondered 'what if', and it still looks as good as before (if not better). My question is, on my look around the school/application/interview, should I make reference to the fact that I have applied before. I see how this could sound strange but I don't want them to dismiss me out of hand because I have applied before and turned them down. How would I approach the subject if I was to mention it?

Second question - the school is a CofE and whilst is says that being religious is 'desireable' and not essential, the LEA application form also asks for 3 references, one of which should be from a parish priest or other religious leader if it is a religious school. Not being a chuch goer myself, I can get no such reference. Should I just put a 3rd reference who is not a religious leader?

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

In my opinion I wouldn't bother to mention a previous application. It was 2 years ago and they probably wouldn't remember and you <u>did</u> have a good reason for withdrawing your application, if they were to remember.
    If you don't know anyone you could give you a 'religious' reference, i think you might have to leave blank or write not applicable or somesuch. However i would ensure in your application you mention how you would support the religious ethos of the school.

3. zozo1

zozo1 New commenter

Thanks Lara! I think you're right about them probably not remembering. I'm still unsure about the references (although I do know I didn't put a religious leader last time and got the interview!) I have only ever worked in one school, I can't still use university two years later as one, so how do I get three?

4. Sillow

Sillow Lead commenter

I have put my university tutor down as a reference and I graduated three years ago. I've only worked in one school and think that at least my tutor saw me teach and looked at my planning and assessing and can comment honestly on how my teaching was.
    I suppose I could have a character reference from someone else, but as I'm only just moving out of my first job I think having my uni tutor is fine for now.