1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Two Qatar Questions please

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by walkingfred, Mar 12, 2016.

1. walkingfred

walkingfred Occasional commenter

Dear all,
    Just finished an interview with a Doha school (yellow shield with a blue sword), and old reviews are worrying, but guy I spoke to seemed OK and honest i.e. Didn't paint the school in an unobtainable positive light. Anyone know anything about them?
    Secondly, I get bored quite easily, and have been in three schools in the last three years. I left for legit reasons: one year contract in Seoul that I didn't want to renew, a year and a half in a school back home in Scotia, and then a promotion to where I am now- still in Scotia. I have good references from all of them. He picked me up on it. Anyone else have a short attention span and had issues getting hired as a result?

2. musikteech

musikteech Occasional commenter

I've got old references only going back to 2010. i'm hoping to get through. I've flitted about as well not even completing 12 month contracts. Did you teach English in Korea?

3. walkingfred

Yes, and it was great! Wish I had thought about teaching abroad years ago!

4. musikteech

Qatar will be more money than Korea probably. It's 2.1m won per month in Korea + free apartment. That's what I see advertised anyway.

5. walkingfred

Cost of living in Korea is very low. We managed to save quite a bit, had two holidays to Japan, and a month round SE Asia afterwards.

6. musikteech

If you've got good references from your schools like you say then you shouldn't have a problem getting hired. He picked you up on it though so may be they won't want to hire you if he's asked that kind of question. Qatar is full of towers in the city centre. It's quite small.

7. walkingfred

Fingers crossed!

8. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

And maybe other things crossed as well.

9. walkingfred

Hi @thehippo. I see from reading through various threads that you are the resident Doha expert. From your comment, do you think it's unlikely I will get something decent with my work history? Thank you in advance :)

10. the hippo

Well, kitkatscotia, Mrs Hippo and I were in Doha for five years, but I am not sure whether or not that makes me an "expert". We left Qatar nearly three years ago, so perhaps some of my advice has passed its "sell by" date. On the other hand, friends of mine who have been there more recently say that things have not changed that much. The traffic is even worse and the prices have gone up even higher, but otherwise things are not so very different.

Some schools in Doha pay well and treat their staff properly. Some do not. If you have appled to one of the naff ones, then they will treat you badly, no matter how good your references are. Competition for jobs at the better schools can be pretty fierce.

11. walkingfred

Thank you. Were you in the same school, or did you move about there?

12. abuameer90

abuameer90 New commenter

The best schools are obvious from the ***, if you haven't got your subscription yet, get it now. Due to the oil price crash and exodus of expats whose contracts are not being renewed, the Doha schools sill start filling up with more locals instead of Western-educated students...this is important, because of the academic/behavioural/discipline issues it creates. Doha is becoming more expensive and more polluted, be very careful for whom you work - there are probably only 4 schools to seriously consider as an international teacher.

kitkatscotia likes this.
  13. walkingfred

Thank you! Just going to subscribe now as I have been offered two jobs today and I am not sure about either of them.

14. the hippo

abuameer90 makes a valid point. Of course the rotten apple schools have aready been filled by Qataris. (Why don't they go to Qatari schools?) You can read some interesting comments about Doha schools if you dig around in www.qatarliving.com. Yes, some of the comments might be old, but alas the schools concerned have not changed much for the better.

15. musikteech

I think you should take any school myself if the money's there. What's a rotten apple school? A few kids playing up! Kids play up at all schools. Be grateful you got offered the job in a tax free country.

16. tedpop

tedpop New commenter

I'm teaching in Doha at the moment, and the school you speak of has an alright reputation, but it is filled mainly with Qataris and other GCC students so behaviour could be a problem. The school was actually featured on a BBC documentary about childhood obesity, which is available on YouTube if you fancy it! We watched it in PSHE a few weeks ago.

There certainly is a mass exodus from the country at the moment, with a lot of people in the oil and gas sectors being laid off. Our school informed us that we would not be entitled to our incremental pay rise due to the oil crisis (we were only granted this pay rise last year, so have received it once; the owner must be jumping for joy that she doesn't have to fork out for it again) and we are losing students every week. Even the best school in Doha (a College) now has vacancies, whereas in previous years it has been oversubscribed beyond belief.

17. walkingfred

Thanks @tedpop, will definitely find the documentary. They made me a decent offer, but back and forth now about getting a visa for my hubby!

18. Roseea123

Roseea123 New commenter

Kitkatscotia is it looking like an issue with regards to visa for your husband. I haven't got to the point of visas yet. So worried it won't be possible or find issues which may postpone the whole thing. How are you finding the process?

19. musikteech

I wouldn't worry what the school's like. Just think of all the tax free money they're offering you. That's the main thing you do the job for after all. You may have to put up with a certain amount of problems but that's what you get paid such a lot for.

20. walkingfred

@ea123 it's not been too bad so far. They have said that he might have to do a couple of visa runs initially though. They are looking to see if they have any jobs for him there, which would make life easier!