1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Two periods of sick leave due to WRS

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by Daveh1981, May 16, 2019.

1. Daveh1981

Daveh1981 New commenter

Hello everyone,

I'm a long time lurker, first time poster as I haven't been able to find an answer to my query in previous posts :)

I was signed off with WRS & anxiety in November and returned on a phased return beginning 1st April. I managed a month back in work but due to a terrible work environment I am suffering with stress & anxiety again and my doctor has signed me off until the middle of June. I'm going to use this time to get better then think about my exit options, though this all feels too much right now.

I'm really worried about my pay. I've been a full time teacher for my LA for 15 years. Will I now be on half pay as I was absent on 31st March? Any help would be much appreciated.

2. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

As far as I know, you enter the new sick pay year when you return to work if you were off on 31 March. I don't know if this is affected by it being a phased return, but I doubt it. If you feel up to it, you could check with HR.

3. strawbs

strawbs Established commenter

Burgundy Book (my bold):
    4. Sick Leave year
    4.1 For the purpose of calculating a teacher’s entitlement during a year under paragraph 2, a year is deemed to begin on 1st April and end on 31st March of the following year. Where a teacher starts service after 1st April in any year, the full entitlement for that year will be applicable. Where a teacher is on sick leave on 31st March in any year, no new entitlements shall begin until the teacher has resumed duty and the period from April 1st until the return to duty is regarded as part of the preceding year’s entitlement for the purpose of this scheme. When a teacher moves to another employer, any sick pay paid during the current year by the previous employer shall be taken into account in calculating the amount and duration of sick pay payable by the new employer.

So because you DID return to work after April 1st, you should now be into the new year's entitlement if I am reading the situation correctly

4. skellig1182

skellig1182 Established commenter

This is absolutely the correct answer. Please don’t worry and I hope you feel better soon.xxx