1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Two interviews in one week!!!

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by ljjh, Oct 16, 2015.

1. ljjh

ljjh New commenter

Good Evening,

I have two very different interviews next week and was after some advice. I am currently a secondary school teacher and have been at the same school for 9 years.

I am no good at selling myself and would be grateful for any advice you could give me for what questions might come up so I can prepare myself before hand.

The first is on Wednesday at a Behavioural Special Primary School doing a story telling activity for 7 students who are between level 2 and 4.

The second is a PMLD secondary on Friday where I have a teaching activity for 25 minutes with 13 students 2 of whom are visually impaired, apart from larger text, coloured paper is there anything specific I need to adapt.

Thanks

2. digoryvenn

digoryvenn Lead commenter

Good luck!
    Make sure you read all of Theo's advice.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Well done! You have been very successful with your applications.

Two interviews means read this first:

Two interviews and a dilemma

You are right to consider this - google it, especially about the colours. I suggest that you have several versions of their materials, as some students use coloured perspex to view sheets, so need a white background.

Now for some general advice.

Warning!

I have created links to these articles, but have not yet been able to go into them and check/change any internal links. So some internal links may no longer work on nu-TES.

Help, I've got an interview! *** The basic advice ***

Teaching an observed lesson at interview

Using mind-mapping for interviews *** The best-loved advice ***

Tell us about yourself - dream or nightmare question?

Daft Interview Questions

What shall I wear to the interview?

Interviews – making a positive first impression

How do you decide who to appoint?

What excuse can I give for going to interview?

Child Protection: the questions, NOT the answers

A typical Child Protection Policy

Two interviews and a dilemma

Interview feedback - they blamed my experience, but they knew that when they shortlisted me!

SLT interviews - possible questions

In-tray exercises. Deputy Head

Assistant Head interviews

General interview questions

Questions to ask at the end of your interview

On Old-TES we had a very nice tradition that when you actually got a job, you started a brand-new thread (not adding it to this one - a brand-new thread) where you told us your good news. You call itDear Theo - I got that job!and this gives everyone a chance to congratulate you. It also gives them hope and inspiration for their own jobseeking, to see you successful.

If you see one of these threads, make sure you congratulate people!

So I will end by saying that we look forward to seeing yourDear Theo - I got that job!

Best Wishes

4. ljjh

ljjh New commenter

Thanks for your advice, the second interview was for Thursday but they have deferred it to Friday as I have my grandfathers funeral on Thursday. I am therefore going to be honest with the one on Wednesday and if I am asked if I would take the job say that I have another interview on Friday which was deferred due to grandfathers funeral and I would like to see how that one goes? Guessing they may not be too happy but honesty is the best policy I think. Thanks xx

5. purplecarrot

purplecarrot Senior commenter

Well done on the interviews.
    Honesty is the best policy but be aware that they may not appoint you if they think you're holding out for Friday's as they may think they're a backup application (not satin that's how you see it)

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I am very sorry to hear of your loss. A grandfather is someone important in your life, I know, and Thursday will be a difficult day for you.

However, this Wednesday is a very bad date to ask for time to decide. They are 99% certain not to allow it. No, make that 100%.

If you've read my linked article above, you'll know why. They wish to appoint for January, all schools wishing the same are interviewing this week, because of the resignation deadline.

If you are offered the post and don't tell them Yes or No until Friday (and Friday evening most likely), then their Plan B candidate may have had another job offer and accepted it in the meanwhile. They may then be left with nobody to fill their vacancy, and it doesn't seem like the sort of post where a term's supply would be good.

I'm sorry to have to tell you this, but if you want one of these jobs to move on now from your current school, then if you are offered on Wednesday you should accept on Wednesday.

If you decide to tell them that, then it is unlikely that they would even offer the job, is my honesty! The fact that the interview has been moved for bereavement will not influence their views at all. They cannot risk not being able to appoint.

If Friday is your preferred job, and you wouldn't accept Wednesday on the spot, then withdraw now from Wednesday. Save your preparation time, save both you and them the interview time.

If you go on Wednesday, then you should be prepared to accept on Wednesday. Anything else will actually annoy them as wasting their time.

I'm really sorry about this answer. It is not at all what you were hoping or even expecting to hear, I guess. But this is the blunt truth of the situation, I'm afraid.

Keep strong for Thursday.

Best wishes