1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Two interviews. Etiquette Q

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by Daffodil2012, May 12, 2017.

  1. Daffodil2012

    Daffodil2012 New commenter

    I've secured two interviews, one at the start and one at the end of next week. What's the etiquette if I'm lucky enough to be offered the first job? I'd still like to go to the second one and see what happened there. I'm not sure which job I'd prefer!
     
  2. Skeoch

    Skeoch Lead commenter

    If you get offered the first job, you could try to ask for time to consider. However the school may well decide to go for the runner-up and therefore get certainty... and it's fairly unlikely they'll be prepared to wait for the best part of a week for your decision.
     
  3. grumpydogwoman

    grumpydogwoman Star commenter

    What @Skeoch said. Definitely.
     
  4. Daffodil2012

    Daffodil2012 New commenter

    I may be the only candidate for both jobs (shortage subject, remote area), that's the impression I've got from my visits to the schools.
     
  5. caterpillartobutterfly

    caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

    Irrelevant in a way.
    A school will want to appoint on the day of interviews, by and large.
    If school 1 offers you a post you need to accept or decline and then live with that decision.
     
  6. Daffodil2012

    Daffodil2012 New commenter

    Argh not what I wanted to hear :eek:;) as I *think* I'd prefer the second one.
     
  7. caterpillartobutterfly

    caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

    Happens all the time, but you asked for the etiquette and this is it.
    If offered the first, you need to withdraw from the second.
     
  8. Daffodil2012

    Daffodil2012 New commenter

    So I should withdraw from the first if I'd prefer the second?
     
  9. wordsworth

    wordsworth Senior commenter

    I think you should explain the situation to the first, if you're offered the job there. As someone said, there's such a shortage that they may be prepared to wait until you've been for the 2nd interview. This happened to a friend of mine recently: she went for 2 interviews, got offered both positions, rang up the Head of the first school and accepted his offer - no problem.
     
  10. davidmu

    davidmu Occasional commenter

    An interesting dilemma. My first interview required me to wait for a result after the HT wanted to interview more candidates the following day or days, it was not made clear to me. I was asked if I had any other interview coming up and I stated quite correctly that I had another in three days time. The HT wanted to know where that was and I very reluctantly told him. He then stated that I was to ring him if I was offered the second job. In the event he contacted me just before the second interview and offered me the post. How common is that?
     
  11. JohnJCazorla

    JohnJCazorla Star commenter

    Given that all schools have their own HR policies then you could reasonably state to school 1 that you need to peruse these before you can accept the offer (or not). Also go over the terms in the contract. What about the salary, this also needs agreeing.

    In short, you could be so busy discussing/negotiating the above post-Monday that you'll soon be at the weekend and fretting over another offer. It will make the school offer better if it confuses delaying with uncertainty.

    The above is written flippantly but there is a serious point of examining all terms and conditions before accepting, you can't just do it on the nod anymore.
     
  12. JohnJCazorla

    JohnJCazorla Star commenter

    What about your current school?

    Is it okay with you clearing off (leaving a gap in a shortage subject)? Can you haggle with your own HT, even if it's just practising for the real deal at these interviews?
     
  13. Daffodil2012

    Daffodil2012 New commenter

    My own school don't have much say in the matter. It's time for a change and I'm getting out of there whether I secure a new job or not.

    I'm in such a quandary though, I don't know whether to go to the interview for the first one now as it's the second I'd prefer. The first only told me on Friday afternoon about the interview on Tuesday so not even sure if my current head will have approved it!

    Thanks for all the advice.
     
  14. Piranha

    Piranha Star commenter

    I see no harm in going to both interviews (if permitted) provided that you are honest with the first one should you be offered the job. If there is no sensible alternative, they would probably be willing to wait. If they don't you haven't lost anything by attending.
     
    Daffodil2012 and wanet like this.
  15. SUPER.SUPPLY

    SUPER.SUPPLY Occasional commenter

    Good luck for both!!
     
    Daffodil2012 likes this.

Share This Page