1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Two experienced teachers with 2 dependents thinking of going international

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by tryabroad11, Jan 10, 2011.

1. My first posting so bear with me!
    I am sure this has been posted lots of times.
    My husband and are both experienced teachers of Maths and Business/economics - 13-15 years each. We have 2 children aged 6 and 4.
    We are considering applying for posts in Manila but am trying to do as much research as possible. Lots of people are telling me not to overthink it but there is alot to consider! (I only wish we had done this prior to having kids!)
    So ultimately we would like to returnin 3-4 years with some money which would help us move up the housing ladder.
    But I am looking for advice from those who have been through this process:
    1 What is manila like to live? is it family friendly?
    2 Realistically would we save a significant amount?
    3 How easy is the transition for a family?
    4 Work life balanced compared to here? - I am currently part time and my husband is a full time member of middle management - I know this would change and we would both need to work - is home help as cheap as people say?

I am sure there are hundreds more questions so any other advice would be v gratefully recieved.

2. wrldtrvlr123

wrldtrvlr123 Occasional commenter

No information on Manila, but I have to ask why there? There are many other places in the world that would give you positive answers to all of your questions (Asia in particular). So why that place in particular?

3. moscowbore

moscowbore Occasional commenter

You would save more in the middle east. You would have a better quality of life in Vietnam or Thailand.

4. There are 2 suitable posts for us with possible responsibility points. The British school sounds like an excellent school as well.

5. We moved overseas when our children were 3 and 5, that was 7 years ago. It was the best thing we ever did - we wished we'd done it sooner and we are doing our best to avoid going back. Although you may save money most places are not that lucrative and there are some experiences money can't buy. I'm sure your sole aim isn't to make money and return but if it is think carefully. It's not always easy to get back into the job/housing market and once you've been away you'll see things differently.
    Good luck!

6. percy topliss

percy topliss Occasional commenter

In regard to Manila: Have only been there on a couple of trips, however, there are armed guards at all of the main points such as hotels and shopping malls. I have lived in a few of the larger cities in Asia and Manila is the one that I would never apply to. I too have heard good things about the British School it just depends if you want to offset the money with the armed guards/robery/mugging bit...
    On a different point, if you are thinking of moving, do so quick. a lot of schools are finding that they are being inundated with applications from home based teachers at the moment because of the generally bad state of affairs in the UK. Many of them are rethinking their "free" education policy for teachers children. The global meltdown seems to have reached this part of the world, belatedly, and even some of the larger places are charging families at least a percentage. I would imagine that this will only get more expensive and will be exaccerbated if the numbers of applications keep rising.
    There are many other places to make/save money. If you are both teachers you will normally find that at a reputable school just about anywhere you will be able to save a full wage, try doing that in Hackney!
    Re the above, my opinion about Manila. I have no doubt that I will get slaughtered by some Philippino loving people but its how I see it...

Perce.

7. SMT dude

SMT dude New commenter

In the first instance for your cavalier way with the spelling of their cherished ones, the correct form being 'filipino' and the PC form 'pinoy' (m) and pinay (f).
    Hope you enjoyed the krickket, old chum.

8. percy topliss

percy topliss Occasional commenter

Aha, yes I knew it. By opening my mouth I have shown my ignorance! I hope that the general message got through though. Cricket was marvellous, long may it continue! I fear that the Aussies have more things to worry about at the moment though and hope that all gets better down there really quickly...
    Happy New Year Dude..

Perce

9. Hackney - kind of defeats the object when we would have to pay for our mortgage. Also having worked in several comphrehensives in the last few years we want to have a change..... an international move would be a great experience and I feel look good on the CV.

thanks for your advice

10. I'd have to concur with Percy.

Manila is a dump. We took a stroll along the Manila Bay "promenade" recently and should have brought gasmasks. The poverty is right in your face just about everywhere you go and nearly all security guards carry handguns or shotguns.
    If want to work in South East Asia you would be much better off looking for work in Thailand, Malaysia, Vietnam, Brunei or southern China.
    Best of luck.

11. We've been in a couple of places now. I don't know how difficult it is to get back into the job market but when you are away you miss the (almost constant) new initiatives and the 'buzz words' etc which can put you at a disadvantage. On the other hand you are offering a sought after subject and you will have your overseas experience to add to that.
    My advice, if you want to do it, is don't over-think it; just do it.
    Incidently I've met lots of people, including ourselves, who planned to return and after a couple of years decided not to!

12. Manila is easy to live in as they all speak English but as a city it is not nice and crime if bad. A lot of it is hidden from expats. I would not go there with a family. I would not go there as a single female. It's a single man's place as the women there are a main attraction.