1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Two children in upcoming class

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by sarahlat89, Jul 4, 2019.

1. sarahlat89

sarahlat89 New commenter

Hello there, I'm a Reception teacher in a one form entry school.

Next year I have two wonderful little boys with autism coming into my setting, and at the moment it is a small class of 14 (although may grow over the summer). One's EHCP is currently being processed, for the other little boy we are having to chase evidence from pre-school etc. to organise getting one on the way.

They are fantastic children who love letters and numbers. Their speech is limited, they say the odd words, and their understanding is quite poor. One follows simple instructions slightly better than the other boy.

The main issue for the two boys will be transition times and carpet times, for e.g. reading a story. I am planning on using visual support where appropriate and possible, using warnings etc. But I will have 1 TA in class with me to support the boys (along with everyone else) and just wondering if I could find support with ways to build their attention skills or build their ability to sit during a carpet time? In the past I have used short timers to build time listening on the carpet as a visual reminder, as well as special seats/weighted blankets, is there anything else? I would just like any thoughts/ideas as during today's transition visit, the boys didn't join us for our story and were walking around the classroom wanting to play with the toys (understandably). One boy took himself to the corner to sit and play, the other one laid out like a starfish on the carpet (overwhelmed). With only one TA, what kind of things can we plan to do to support such times? I don't want them to be taken out/away from the carpet all of the time, but understand it will be a very slow process of building up their attention skills.

Thank you for any support or advice.

2. dzil

dzil Occasional commenter

You sound very capable and prepared. These children are lucky to have you as their teacher.
    Have you looked at the resources available through the autistic society? They do quite a lot of useful free resources for teachers
    https://www.autism.org.uk/professionals/teachers.aspx

3. onmyknees

onmyknees Established commenter

4. dzil

dzil Occasional commenter