1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Two car questions

Discussion in 'Personal' started by giraffe, Jun 5, 2011.

1. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

I'd be very concerned about a car with only one key. Did you get it from a garage?
    Does it have a manual with it? That will tell you if you can just prise off the cap and use the lighter port, or if it doesn't have one.

2. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Does it have the actual 12v socket for the lighter, or just an empty space under the plastic cap? An auto electrician could easily fit a 12v socket somewhere around the dashboard and connect it to your existing wiring for not a great deal. I'd suggest for flexibility you buy yourself a unit with two 12v sockets and a USB outlet (you see them for a few quid in Aldi, Lidl, and other places from time to time) then get a qualified auto electrician to hardwire it so it's properly earthed and fused.

3. Lalad

Lalad Senior commenter

Hi giraffe
    Yes, the car came from a garage - they said they had had it in on a part ex and it only had one key. I did prise off the cap, but there wasn't a lighter port, just a hole for one!

4. Lalad

Lalad Senior commenter

Thank you magic. I have a local garage where I usually get the car serviced - do you think they would be able to do it? How would I find an auto electrician if not? Also, when you talk about getting "a unit with two 12v sockets and a USB outlet", am I looking for a lighter unit? Sorry to be dense - am not very mechanically minded!

5. 576

576 Occasional commenter

you don't need the lighter you need the bit that heats it up.
    I suspect you have it - it sounds like my old Corsa,
    Put your sat nav plug in there and see if it works!

6. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

If you take your car to a Nissan dealer, from the car reg and chassis plates the will have the information needed to cut another key. Fitting a 12V outlet for your satmnav will be simple. The wiring to do so is most likely already installed behind the dash board. It's cheaper to build cars (or anything for that matter) to a higher spec on features but not enable you to use them on them on the bottom of the range models. It would take only a couple of minutes for a fitter to remove the plug on the space where the cigarette lighter woud go plug in the wires into a new socket and away you go. It's possible that to save a penny or so on the cost of building the car they might have left the fuse out out the fusebox, but probably not. You could easily do it yourself.
    A lot of electronic products you buy use identical circuitry throughout the range. Features on high end models would be available on low end models but they are locked out by the software.That's the clever way. In the past they'd had a jumper to link terminals on the circuit board to do this.

7. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

The key can probably be cut at a high street key cutters. I had one done for my motorcycle recently.
    As to the rest:
    a) buy a map
    b) you bought the wrong car you cheapskate! [​IMG]

8. blazer

blazer Star commenter

If you have a local Mica hardware store they keep a supply of blank keys for many makes of car. Take the original key in and they will probably be able to match and cut you a spare. We get our old minibus keys replaced there regularly as they break or get lost! Or a branch of Timpsons, they can do the same, we got replacment keys for Mrs blazer's old Metro from there and keys for a moped.

9. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Just make sure the key is not controlled by a computer,,,,best go to your nissan dealer if unsure...or explore on line.
    The 12v lighter can be fitted yourself if you have a modicum of DIY skills,,if not can you find a nice man who will.
    Best thing is gogle for the woring loom for your make model and number .themnseach on that for the key and find the colour code..as someone has said its probabaly already in behind the dash.An auto electircian coming to you would cost you about £60.
    Are you sure your safe with a sat nav? lol

10. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Will an 11 year old micra be able to go far enough to need a sat nav, I'd have though leaving a trail of breadcrumbs would suffice![​IMG]

11. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

beware the birds my friend, beware the birds!

12. Lalad

Lalad Senior commenter

Don't be mean about my Micra! I know an 11 year old car isn't ideal but the last Micra I had lasted forever and the Fiat I have just traded in was only 6 months younger but had 30,000 more on the clock and was the worst car I have ever owned. If I could afford not to be a cheapskate I would, jacob!
    Anyway...I tried just putting the satnav in, which didn't work. Definitely no lighter assembly in there. Rang up the local Nissan garage, who said a new key would have to be programmed to the immobiliser so quoted £108 (£56 for the key, plus labour, vat etc. They thought putting a lighter assembly in would be too involved so referred me to another company, but in the meantime, I rang my local garage and asked them about it and they said it would be a piece of cake and will do it for next to nothing. Just goes to show!
    Olds, I'm usually safe with a satnav - the worst experience I have had was when I was looking for a campsite in Dorset and ended up at the end of a narrow country road, which petered out into nothing. Some crazy ancient mariner lookalike came charging out of his house and proceeded to rant about how disrespectful modern motorists were, and how dared I drive onto his land without apologising - but every time I opened my mouth to attempt an apology, he shouted over me!
    I'd quite like to be able to use the satnav in the Micra but It wouldn't really bother me that much not to be able to use it - after all, we all used to make do with motoring atlases, didn't we? I do think I need a spare key though!

13. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I had this sort of thing in mind:

[​IMG]

..but with the cable permanently wired into your car's electrical system by your garage.