1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Two books on mindfulness

Discussion in 'Book club' started by indusant, Apr 26, 2016.

1. indusant

indusant Senior commenter

The idea of 'mindfulness' seems to keep cropping up in discussions in regards to education and popular culture. Of course, there is a countless amount of books available for those that are interested in the practice. Some are of more use than others.

I have found that some books (and courses) on mindfulness seem to ignore the Buddhist element entirely. I find this strange as Buddhists (among others) have been its chief practitioners for many years. There also seems to be a lot of confusion surrounding the topic. I have discussed this elsewhere on this site. Here I would like to recommend two books that I have found to be the clearest and most helpful on the topic:

The first one is entitled 'Mindfulness in Plain English' by Bhante Henepola Gunaratana.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mindfulnes...ersary-ebook/dp/B00JDZLM0A/ref=dp_kinw_strp_1

This book describes what mindfulness is, how to do it and the benefits in crystal clear detail. It is definitely one of the most engaging, useful and practical books on the subject.

The second is entitled 'Eight Mindful Steps to Happiness', also written by Bhante Henepola Gunaratana.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Eight-Mindful-Steps-Happiness-Walking/dp/0861711769?ie=UTF8&ref_=asap_bc

This book discusses mindfulness in its wider context. Buddhists call it the 'Noble Eight-fold Path'. These other pieces are largely ignored when mindfulness is discussed in terms of education. But all the other pieces interlink and mindfulness is just one piece in this puzzle. All together these Eight steps are a guide for self improvement and for leading a happier, more fulfilled life. Again, the written style is incredibly engaging, clear and precise.

I have found these two books to be incredibly beneficial to my understanding and practice of mindfulness. I would highly recommend them to anyone interested in this area.

Best wishes

Last edited: Apr 26, 2016
  2. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

i just want to concentrate on reading one of them, give it my whole attention and really immerse myself in the experience of reading it.