1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Two arrests over leaked A-level paper

Discussion in 'Personal' started by nomad, Jun 25, 2019.

1. nomad

nomad Star commenter

2. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Were they caught going at 50 miles per hour between point A and point B?

dleaf12, Grandsire, emerald52 and 7 others like this.
  3. neddyfonk

neddyfonk Established commenter

Dozy plonkers trying to get people to cough up £70 via Twitter - did not think that one through very well.

4. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

Did their runaway speed equal distance over time? Or were they prime number suspects?

emerald52, colpee and Ivartheboneless like this.
  5. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

Years ago the English Lit (?) GCSE papers were pinched when they were being taken from the printers so the second papers were distributed.

I often wondered what the conversation was like when the thieves realised what they'd pinched. I'm sure exam papers were a bit of a shock. I believe that when the police found the van only a couple of boxes had been opened.

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  6. Lazycat

Lazycat Established commenter

Good, I witnessed the distress of a friend’s daughter who, after sitting A level maths, discovered that some people had had access to some of the questions. It was a horrible thing to see.

yodaami2 likes this.
  7. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

"Gor blimey Fingers, they got Waiting For Godot as the unseen text this year, that's bang out of order - the narrative is so stripped down and so elemental, that it invites all kinds of social and political and religious interpretations. Beckett exploits several archetypal forms and situations, all of which lend themselves to both comedy and pathos.."

"Shut yer face and get yer foot dahn Nosher - I can hear the filth on our tail! I ain't doin' no ten stretch in The Scrubs for Samuel bleedin' Beckett!"

8. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Our nephew received this twitter message...'Here's one question, send us £70 if you want the rest of the paper'. He thought it was a scam, so didn't.
    When sitting the paper, he recognised that one question and afterwards found out others had paid the £70. He wasn't happy at all, it has been awful ever since.
    Hopefully the board will sort something out to ensure candidates aren't penalised.

9. LadyPsyche

LadyPsyche New commenter

They’ll have a job. I’ve been trying to reassure my family member that her grade will be fair, but it’ll be a tough task for the examiners. The only fair-ish outcome I can picture would be to match the grades to last year’s standard with no reference to quotas. Even though this would benefit the cheats, at least the honest ones wouldn’t be downgraded.

10. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

It doesn't say if they have any idea of how many paid and were advantaged, I wonder if they know?

11. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Two of them.

cassandramark2 likes this.
  12. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

It's horrendous.
    How on earth can they tell who has cheated and who not?
    Whatever they do, the cheats will have an advantage.

chelsea2 likes this.
  13. Lazycat

Lazycat Established commenter

Some of my teacher friends and I thought they would disregard the questions that were leaked and would score the paper out of fewer marks. As none of us are mathematicians and have no idea whether this means the more advanced skills would be tested this can only be a guess. I feel so sorry for those A level candidates who worked hard all year, revised and feel they will be penalised because some have cheated

smoothnewt likes this.
  14. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

Or they do a weird calculation and add in a nominal percentage of marks to top up to all the candidate’s marks. Like when that GCSE board muddled up the Capulets and Montagues for Lit GCSE?

15. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

What about those you paid £70 and so had access to the whole paper beforehand?Actually, they may be easy to track down, given the transactions would have taken place online.

Maybe it would also be possible to track down those who saw the two questions posted on Twitter, too?