1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Two and a half year olds

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by drumminggirl, May 2, 2012.

1. This may sound a little strange but can I please ask what your children were/ are like at age two and a half? Were/ are they still using a pushchair and a highchair? Potty trained? Able to dress themselves? We are considering trying for a gap of this between our children but know no children of this age! Is there much difference between this age and three years?
    Thanks!

2. This may sound a little strange but can I please ask what your children were/ are like at age two and a half? Were/ are they still using a pushchair and a highchair? Potty trained? Able to dress themselves? We are considering trying for a gap of this between our children but know no children of this age! Is there much difference between this age and three years?
    Thanks!

3. Obviously they're all different but at two and half, my son was potty trained (day and night), refusing pushchair unless very tired, hadn't been in the highchair in about a year but no, not able to dress himself (although very good at undressing himself, as once demonstrated in the middle of a cafe...) apart from putting his own coat on and he could pull his pants and trousers up after being on the potty.
    He's 2 years 9 months now, and when he's 3 he'll be in nursery 5 mornings a week, so I'm looking forward to that. This was a big factor in our decision to have at least 3 years between the kids. My friends' kids go to the nursery in the village and 'dressing myself' was one of the topics they did last term, so I'm guessing from that that there aren't many three year olds who can dress themselves!

4. I have a daughter who is 2 years and 7 months and we've just had our second. We wanted them close enough to want to still play together but not too close that we didnt get time to enjoy LO#1. She is potty trained (not night though), can pretty much get dressed - but struggles with tops sometimes, is happy to go on the buggy board but we also have a double buggy which we might use when LO#2 is a little bigger to go in it and she also doesnt really go in high chair.
    We have only just very recently become a family of four I'm going with the flow about some of these things as she is still 'adjusting' to not being the only one. So she has wanted to ''play on the baby play mat'', sit on my knee whilst i'm feeding lo#2 and ask when will she be the baby!
    I guess there are pros and cons to when ever you decide to have children, you just have to decide to do whats best for you, good luck

5. As other have said, they're all different; we have a 7 month old and a 27 month old and it's hard work but I wouldn't change it for the world! Especially now that they're interacting so well! Anyway, my two year old can dress herself brilliantly, but we mainly stick her in the highchair and pushchair to keep her contained, haha! Though saying that, she is very good at walking with us and holding hands usually (today there was a little bit of trying to run away...) and she won't stay on a grown-up chair for very long without something to occupy her at the table. I guess at 2 and 3 months she's still young though?!

6. Oh and she's dry/clean by day and wears a nappy at night, which is always well used!

7. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

I have 22 months between my children - my son will be 3 in just over 6 weeks and my daughter will be 1 next Saturday!
    My son had stopped using his highchair just before his sister was born, and he occasionally went in the pushchair still then, but by 2.5 he wasn't using it at all. I converted our icandy apple to a pear, but didn't use it as a double for that long, and just converted it back. The extra seat was handy to store more shopping on! My son also refused to use his reins just before he turned 2.5.
    He still isn't potty trained unfortunately but is starting to show an interest now, although still refuses to sit on the potty.
    I've only just gone back to work after maternity leave, so i'm hoping that seeing other kids at nursery use the potty will encourage him.
    He is quite jealous of his little sister and pushes her over a lot! She started walking at 9.5 months, and I don't think that helped!
    Between 2.5 and now he speech has most definitely improved, and I feel much more confident going out and about with 2 of them as i can trust him to not run off into the road.
    If i'd realised how hard it would be, I think maybe I'd have had a 3 year age gap rather than 22 months! Although I'm sure with any age gap there will be pros and cons.

8. Chull

Chull New commenter

My son is 2y 9m. He can hold a simple conversation and is nearly potty trained. We don't really ever get tantrums. He uses an adult chair and sometimes his pushchair.
    Now the downside. He makes no attempt to dress or undress. Is really fussy with food. Still sleeps in a cot!
    I need to realise he is not a baby now.

9. I guess it's fair to say (although generalising of course) that it might be a little easier having a girl first? Just because she's calmer than her little boyfriends (though don't get me wrong, no angel! And quite boisterous really) plus her language and understanding is excellent so (dare I say?!) she can be reasoned with. She also loves helping with her baby bro (sometimes too much, although to be fair to her, I can send her downstairs to het the wipes from the nappy bag, or get his pjs from the drawer in his room after bath time... Child labour, haha!) either way, I can Gand on heart say it's had its ups and downs and certainly hadn't been easy but by the time he was about 6 months everything really clicked into place. Hence why things are great and I wouldn't change a thing! (nature is good at making you forget ;-))

10. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

I think it is! From experience, friends of mine who have an older girl, but a small age gap, have found it a lot easier than I have. Boys can be real 'mummy's boys' too and get more jealous than girls.
    My son does like helping, but he also likes being mean to his sister. He used to shove her over then say 'M fallen down' and even now he pushes her over when he thinks we're not looking. He needs to be careful....soon she will push him back [​IMG]
    He is still in his cot bed, although he can climb out easily. Often I am woken up by him coming into our bedroom in the morning.

11. Thank you all so much for your replies. I have stopped taking the pill so we will see what happens!

12. I'm a bit late in posting on this, but I've only just rediscovered the TES forums since I've had 2 kids! My eldest is a boy of 2 years 5 months and has been potty trained for a couple of months now (nappy at night, but it's quite dry in the morning). He only goes in the pushchair if he's really tired or if I'm in a mad rush. He's a great eater and sits on a booster seat and has sat in a booster seat for ages now. His speech is great - has improved very quickly from his 2nd birthday and we have the odd tantrum, but nothing major, compared with some toddlers I know (usually girls!). My second just turned 1 last month and she's a dream - much more independent than her brother (which is natural, as boys are renowned for being dependent on mummy). She isn't walking yet, unlike her brother who was walking at 11 months, so she'll be in the pushchair for a bit longer than her brother! We had them very close together (only 16 months apart), but it has been fine. When I was potty training my boy, my little girl was nearly a year old, so it wasn't difficult to balance their needs. And with another one on the way in 4 months (!), I'm hoping that the experience is as pleasureable as it has been this time! Although 3 under the age of 3 might be a tad tiring!
    Good luck! Kids are wonderful.