1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Twitter

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by teacherof30, Feb 9, 2012.

1. teacherof30

teacherof30 New commenter

Hi,

I'm hoping one of you might be able to tell me or give me some feedback about your experiences.

We are starting a Twitter feed for our school. I set up a normal, public account the other day and within an hour had 10 spammer 'followers' all with names that should not be visible as followers to a school! I blocked them and then made the twitter account private.

Having looked at lots of other school accounts, they are all public and don't seem to suffer from the spam followers. Does this mean that somebody is actively checking emails and deleting these followers, or is there something I've missed?

I think that if we restrict access, we will deter followers. Some will not want their accounts to be traced by other people in the school, and some will have names that we won't instantly recognise if they apply to follow the private twitter feed.

Is there a trick I've missed where you can avoid the spam or does anybody have any information on the benefits of private vs public tweeting?

Thanks

2. teacherof30

Hi,

I'm hoping one of you might be able to tell me or give me some feedback about your experiences.

We are starting a Twitter feed for our school. I set up a normal, public account the other day and within an hour had 10 spammer 'followers' all with names that should not be visible as followers to a school! I blocked them and then made the twitter account private.

Having looked at lots of other school accounts, they are all public and don't seem to suffer from the spam followers. Does this mean that somebody is actively checking emails and deleting these followers, or is there something I've missed?

I think that if we restrict access, we will deter followers. Some will not want their accounts to be traced by other people in the school, and some will have names that we won't instantly recognise if they apply to follow the private twitter feed.

Is there a trick I've missed where you can avoid the spam or does anybody have any information on the benefits of private vs public tweeting?

Thanks

3. madcat

madcat Occasional commenter

It is fairly straight-forward.
    You can set the acc so that you have to approve followers - if you have the time to do that, then fine
    But the simplest answer is
    Don't have a Twitter account

4. teacherof30

Thanks - I hadn't thought of that :cool:

5. AFAIK the only solutions are to have a locked account, which means users have to request to view, or to manually block the spammers.

For my personal (tho mostly discussing education) account I lock it. For the school feed, we don't. There are always risks associated with it but it's manageable.

6. Unless an F1 race is on! Then education goes out of the window! ;-)

7. Maybe have a look at Safego. I've not tried it but it looks like what you're after.

http://safego.bitdefender.com/twitter