1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Twitter

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Shifter, Apr 8, 2011.

1. Shifter

Shifter New commenter

I thought saddoes went for Facebook - but tweeting? What's the point?

2. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Don't birds tweet?

3. Thank you erp and tomatogirl for the very useful info.
    Do they need to have parental permission for that?

4. I'm reliably informed that Facebook is like, so 2010. [:0]

5. The SSAT also keep lists of tweeting teachers. Honestly, get on and do it. What subject are chocolate box? They are mostly ICT teachers on there and lots of primary teachers. A few humanities, maths and science. A gang of welsh teachers too.

6. Geekie

Geekie New commenter

Not to mention a MASSIVE group of MFL teachers.
    [​IMG] @valleseco

7. I tweet - @robsia
    I follow slebs for a laff - but I'm only just starting out so don't have much of a network.
    I have got my first sleb follower though - Michael McIntyre, but he is a Twitter *** - he follows everyone!

8. Wow - I didn't know that word would be censored - erm, a lady who enjoys the company of lots of men.

9. #follower envy

10. No, I neither Tweet nor Facebook.
    I wouldn't be the slightest interested in following some sleb around.
    Nor am I interested in knowing what is going on the lives of others I know, if I see them everyday anyway.
    Nor do I want to be contacted 24/7.
    I may be a dying breed - I like a bit of privacy.

11. Exactly the same as CQ. It seems such a waste of time. Anything I need info about (even f*cking celebs!) I can find on the www.
    Life is just too short......

12. I tweet too
    I dont think it is a waste of time as I have found so many different people on there and some many different ideas.
    It is great for when you need advice/ resources or when your ideas are a little stale. :) I say everyone needs to embrace the new technology. It is coming :)
    @smiles2506

13. Shifter

Shifter New commenter

As I said - for idiots

14. Not on this thread you didn't. To quote my mother, "I don't need to know what Stephen Fry is having for his breakfast". But guess what? Stephen Fry doesn't generally share things like that. In common with many of the more intelligent "celebrities" he shares information about important issues, world events - stuff that I might not normally read about - and that's one of the reasons I 'follow' him and people like him on Twitter. I follow a number of local theatres as they often publicise plays, shows and events via Twitter, and it gives me an early chance to book tickets. I follow reporters for their many insightful comments about current events. I follow the DfE and Ofsted, amongst other education-related accounts, who often post links to new policy and practice papers. Oh, and I follow @EmergencyPuppy because I like photos of puppies being cute. I'm not glued to it for hours each day, just a quick 10 minutes here and there, and it educates and entertains me in equal measure.

15. Actually, as the lone Science teacher in my school I've found it really useful for chatting to others in similar positions and for getting support/ideas from teachers around the country. In fact, it's not that much different to using the subject boards here if you look in the right places. For keeping up to date, for extra CPD, it's really useful. Once you get the hang of it, the Science teachers all chat on a Monday night #asechat and all the teachers chat on a Thursday #ukedchat. Oh, and SLT have Sunday #sltchat. Great for new ideas and everything. I don't follow slebs. Just hockey players. @90_maz

16. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

I love it. I tweet occasionally and follow local news, some interesting people including celebs and Rev Richard Coles who brightens every day. Found a young man I knew when he was 4 is now a political corespondent for a major newspaper and love reading his comments. Add a couple of tessers who also tweet and there's half an hour of pleasant recreation every day.

17. Andy_91

Andy_91 New commenter

In answer to Arched Eyebrow, it's good for news feeds and saves a lot of time searching the Web. Stuff comes to you from reliable sources eg @Samfr who is one of Gove's DFE policy advisers. I rarely tweet but it's invaluable reading matter for work.

18. I can go further I had to block a sleb who kept annoying me!

I'm recently retired and use it a lot. For fun, keepin informed, interacting with interesting people and keeping in contact with friend, ex students and ex staff.

19. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Lead commenter

I suppose in itself it isn't a problem, but it is a small part of our increasing dependency on electronic communication, which is eating into our daily routine. Personally I see it as verbal diarrhoea in 140 characters, but I take the point about it being informative at best. No wonder obesity is on the increase as we all sit about typing guff.
    I don't do Twitter, Facebook, or mobile phones (apart from the odd occasion when I need to rendez-vous with someone). I am trying to fight this electronic tide (Canute-like, I know).
    My husband had (planned) a day off work yesterday. He was depressed to note that by the evening he had amassed 120 work emails, most of which were probably not even relevant to him,but which had been sent out to all staff (he works for a large media organisation). This struck me as hugely ironic - a company whose business is communication, spinning out of control in terms of its own internal communication system, which is inevitably impeding its employees from working efficiently.

20. Andy_91

Andy_91 New commenter

He's lucky - I typically get 100 plus that are directly for me and need answering.