1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Twitter in the Classroom

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by Andrew-D-Maths, May 11, 2019.

1. Hi all,
    I am currently training to become a maths teacher and will hopefully be starting a new position in September.
    I want to help my students as much as I possibly can, even when I’m outside of the classroom, so I have come up with an idea to enable me to do this. Would there be any legal implications with me creating a designated twitter account for the mathematics department at my school and encouraging pupils to tweet me with their questions so I can help them with homework or revision that they are doing. When students are revising at home they may be struggling so by creating this facility for the students I am enabling them to let me know what they are stuck on and I can answer the questions from home, upload pictures of my answers and provide detailed pointers for the students to try and help them and show them where they have made errors
    Thank you for the replies

2. mathsmutt

mathsmutt Star commenter

Microsoft Teams or Google Classroom will meet your requirements - in a secured environment.

bancebance, sbkrobson and needabreak like this.
  3. NIHistoryTeacher

NIHistoryTeacher New commenter

Work / life balance?

MissGeorgi and sbkrobson like this.
  4. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

It's not the best idea tbh.
    What's wrong with using emails?
    Twitter requires users to be 13 years old, so you would not be able to offer the facility until the end of Y8. And the scope for just messing about on it and time wasting is huge.
    If you don't already have an established VLE in your school, get your IT people at school to make sure all your classes are set up as mailing groups, and use your school email account.
    If you feel an answer is of interest to all, then mail it to the whole group.

If you want to encourage your kids to use Twitter, then refer them to some good educational maths accounts that they can follow for their interest. But to use it for teacher/student interaction is just reinventing a wheel.
    It is still a nice idea though to run your own school based Maths account (with the school's permission) because you can regularly post whatever widgets you thin they might enjoy. But I wouldn't encourage using it for their queries-you'll be swamped by idle commentary and non questions, and tbh as a parent myself, I'm not sure how popular it would be with parents. Some would'nt care, but equally some might object.

5. averagedan

averagedan Occasional commenter

Depends on the school - at my school it wouldn't be a problem provided it was set-up via the IT team and someone from the IT team had admin access. At other schools the IT policy is much more restrictive and requires at least one other person to check posts, etc. in case it paints the school in a bad light.

You need to check your schools IT policy.

An alternative we're about to trial is a VLE "twitter-style" wall that can only be accessed internally.

6. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

it is a SERIOUSLY bad idea to make yourself available like this, never mind the safeguarding implications.

You need to be thinking about setting appropriate and healthy boundaries. It could totally wreck your family life, and it is of absolutely no benefit to students what so ever to spoon feed them like that, and it sets a precedent which gives students and parents stupid expectations of other staff, which will inevitably lead to conflict when other staff refuse to have their home life and family life compromised in this way,

Don't do anything like this. It is a very very bad idea.

meggyd and MissGeorgi like this.
  7. MissGeorgi

MissGeorgi Occasional commenter

I think you have really good intentions with this; I see Twitter used by some departments but I’m very cautious as I’ve seen the issues social media can cause. I think the kids need to learn that teaching time is in lesson time. You would quickly get fed up with being “on call” in your own time. I think a dropin “workshop” once a week, say Monday lunchtime, would maybe be preferable.

Pomza and dunnocks like this.
  8. mummalea

mummalea New commenter

Seriously agree with dunnocks...

dunnocks likes this.