1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Twitter Detox

Discussion in 'Personal' started by MAGAorMIGA, Aug 16, 2019.

1. MAGAorMIGA

MAGAorMIGA Star commenter

I have come to realise that I've allowed far too much hate and negativity into my life simply by going on Twitter. While I find it a useful tool to find news stories I would otherwise miss, I follow some people whose threads raise my blood pressure, give me depression, anxiety and anger and cause general negativity. So I've unfollowed Donald Trump, and blocked anyone I see making hateful comments. I'm actually starting to enjoy Twitter again as a result.

primarycat, lanokia and FrankWolley like this.
  2. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

See I find twitter really positive but then I follow teaching posts and stuff like that.

I find TES far more toxic than Twitter. Twitter and Reddit are great compared to here I'm sorry to say.

But I say this genuinely... if something is causing you depression, anxiety and anger then you are 100% right to cut it out of your life [and if my habit of snide remarks is one of them then so be it]... your mental health is crucial... struggling with my own at present.

MAGAorMIGA and primarycat like this.
  3. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

That's because people on here don't agree with you.;)

4. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Lead commenter

Seems like self harm. Just follow more compatible people whilst avoiding the echo chamber.

5. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

People agreeing with me? I couldn't care less. Genuinely.

Teach me for trying to be supportive.

Oscillatingass likes this.
  6. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

I thought that you'd written a good post. Mental health is important and the more insight people have into what helps or damages their mental health the better.

7. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

My relationship with Twitter has always been 100% positive, because I don't subscribe to it. Likewise Faecebook, and WhatsCrapp.

On a similar note I recently decided to close my YouTube accounts and only use it in logged out mode in future. I've also closed all but one Google account, which I shall only log in to if I want to buy from the App store, which isn't very often as I hate mobile phones. I've also shut down virtually all tracking, recomendation and cookie functions in Google Chrome, and have an ad blocker running anyway. Data I'd inadvertantly got on Google Drive has been removed as has everything in Google Photos. The thing that struck me as I was doing all this is how hellishly difficult it is to actually disengage from the Google/YouTube Matrix. They seriously don't want to lose track of you. It took me the best part of a day to escape its clutches.

Out of curiosity I've requested a data dump from Google Chrome to see what they've been accumulating - should be interesting. Oddly enough it takes some days to prepare, whereas they'll recommend content to me in a flash.

Paranoid? Moi?

8. MAGAorMIGA

MAGAorMIGA Star commenter

Nae worries, lan, I usually enjoy our sabre-rattling.

9. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

I've never used Twitter or Facebook, but we've got a nice little family "group" going on WhatsApp, which is great for keeping in touch now that our girls have moved out. I find it easier to post photos there; often when I attempt to add a photo to a text it won't send it, whereas there's never a problem with WhatsApp.

Oscillatingass and lanokia like this.
  10. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Likewise, although I did set up a Facebook account for some arcane reason I can't remember. I've never added any content to it.

As for Twitter, I see items in the news that were posted on it, but it seems more trouble than it's worth being part of it.

11. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Mark can still see you.

12. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

He can't see what I look like though, nor will he find pictures of my meals or be able to guess what my drinking habits are from the volume of photos of me holding a glass, as others have.

A few years ago, a colleague was sacked after his girlfried posted photos of him at the seaside. Nothing wrong with that per se, but he'd called in to say he was too sick to come to work on the day the photos were taken and a rival colleague was keeping tabs on what he was up to.

I have nothing to hide, but I prefer my life to be a private matter unless I personally choose to share it. You will never know when this pointless Facebook stuff could bite you on the bum.

Ivartheboneless likes this.
  13. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

It is probably unimportant, because if you use a computer or phone connected to the internet they know everything about you anyway.