1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Twitter - A question from a Science Teacher...

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by johntyjohno, Feb 16, 2011.

1. Sorry to jump into your forum guys but I've just got a quick question based on a primary school's website I've just seen.
    On there the school has a twitter link that displays tweets - I presume that's just a bit of code I can grab from somewhere on the web?
    That's not really my question though -
    The website invites people to follow the school on twitter - if someone is following you can you disable them from a 're-tweet' - i.e. if I post stop someone from posting something in reply?
    The website also offers the tweets to be sent as a text to parent's phones - does anyone know if this is a free service or are the school paying to do this?
    The website in question looks really good and I'd love to pinch some of the ideas off it but I'd just like to know a bit more before I start my own.
    Thanks for any tips you've got. Charlie

2. DEmsley

DEmsley New commenter

These are options within Twitter AFAIK.
    Code snippet to display tweets is on twitter.
    You cannot prevent re-tweets AFAIK. But why would you want to given the nature of Tweets?

3. Thanks for the reply. THe reason I'd like to 'kill' the re-tweet function is to prevent someone re-tweeting a comment that you might not like on a thread. Basically I'm considering how I could use twitter as an information giving service.
    C