1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Twilight training sessions

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by NZdreamer, Feb 11, 2011.

1. Just wondered if I HAVE to attend twilight sessions?
    I had one planned for last week and was happy to go, only to find out the details were all wrong and it actually clashes with something else I had previously planned round the original date.
    Do I have to go to the training or not as it is outside normal school hours?

Thanks,
    NZ

2. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

Check your contract, I think you'll find you have to without a very good reason. Who got the details wrong? x

3. My head got the details wrong. I will check the contract thanks!

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Twilight sessions are usually in place of an inset at some point and therefore are directed time, so yes you do need to attend. However if details change at the last minute and you have a prior engagement, then an understanding head might let you off the odd one.

5. leadlearner

leadlearner New commenter

Appreciate that if you were given the wrong details and if you had something urgent to attend then you would discuss this with the Head. But generally you should be expecting if you are on a full time contract to attend all twilights. As an NQT you should take every single opportunity to learn and develop cpd. If you have clashes, as I did once with a Doctor's appt discuss it with the Head. Rushing to check your contract doesn't set the right tone at all.

6. Got to agree with that 100%.

7. It is not to replace an inset day.
    Shame the head didn't bother to tell me before he booked me into something or I would have had the chance to discuss the clash. As I arranged my other appointment around the date I was initially told I can't see why I am in the wrong?
    Still that sort of sums up my whole NQT experience at this school.

sarahwheeler229 likes this.
  8. And I am on a temporary contract, have been given no support etc since I started so I probably am not in the best frame of mind to be enthusiatic about other people making mistakes then making out it is me in the wrong.
    Still I have made other arrangements now so will trot off to the twilight session like a good little NQT.

9. Hi
    You shgould be getting full support as a NQT if you are on induction. That is not an option for the school they have a legal obligation to provide an induction tutor, support, timetable reduction etc. The school govenors have a duty to ensure that the head provides the proper support. You could contcat your LA NQT person and ask that they 'casually' make enquiries about the support on offer - without dropping you in it.
    As for twilight, yes you need to attend if it is directed time, though such things should be provided with reasonable notice.
    James