1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Twilight books

Discussion in 'Personal' started by perdita, Nov 13, 2011.

1. My 11 year old daughter has requested the Twilight books for Christmas. I don't really know anything about them other than they are incredibly popular with teenage girls. My question is are they suitable for someone as young as my daughter? I saw some of the True Blood series on TV which was basically vampire ****. The Twilight books aren't like that - are they?[​IMG]

2. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

No idea. Have a read from the library before committing yourself. Didn't like the film that was ont he telly a while ago, tbh, but I kind of understand the appeal. All that 'I love you, but we must not, nay, we cannot, but oh, how I want to...' stuff.

3. The first two would def be suitable but the third is much more grown up and that would depend on your own personal preference plus the maturity of your daughter. Everyone is different. I have taught year 5s who have read the first 2, but their parents made them wait to read #3

I read and loved ALL the books and would prob let my 11yr old read them if I had a kid

4. Don't fret Perdita, Twilight actually has a very strong abstinence message.Bella and Edward don't have sex until the 4th book, once they are married. And Stephanie Mayer glosses over the whole sex act rather well. Unlike True Blood Twilight has some strong moral messages.Probably because Mayer is a Morman

5. Just watched films one and two with my nearly 12 year old as all her friends have been talking about them. Found the films to be harmless and like someone else has said there is a little bit of kissing and not much else. She sees and hear worse watching Friends to be honest.
    (still don't see the attraction to Robert Pattison though...)

6. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

Apart from the girl vampire ripping the head off the bad vampire and the others chucking his body onto the fire at the ballet studio.......
    (No, don't worry, it's all happening in the background, you'd never notice in the film, although it is described in the book....)
    I think that books 1 and 2 are fine for 11 years upwards. After that, the writing deteriorates and they will probs have lost interest anyway.....

7. fantastischfish

fantastischfish Established commenter

I think the books are nice light-relief and entertaining, although hardly brilliant writing. I find Bella to be whiney and annoying in the books, although I strangely like her in the films....wierd.
    The aspect I'd be most worried about is that the books basically demonstrate the famle character being complete besotted with the male character no matter how badly he treats her (and he treats her pretty badly, although apparently all for her own good [​IMG] )
    Other than that, it's fairly harmless and probably suitable for your daughter. And the earlier poster is correct - there is a strong theme of abstinence, although in the fourth book, when Bella awakens covered in bruises from the night before, she seems to have rather enjoyed the experience....

8. jmntsp

jmntsp New commenter

I would think the first two books are suitable - although she will then want to read the others probably. The fourth one (I seem to remember) has Bella pregnant with a child that's likely to end up killing her and is all rather gruesomely unpleasant to be honest. My main gripe with them is that they are pretty poorly written. There are much better writers in this genre around. I would recommend instead Cassandra Clare's series - 'City of Bone' 'City of Ashes' 'City of Glass'. Also about vampires/werewolves/angels, etc but far better written.

9. I thought as much. I can remember her reading those awful fairy books when she was younger (Amber the orange fairy etc) they were dire and thankfully she bored of them after the first two or three.
    Whilst we're on the subject of the vampire genre (could it be considered a genre in it's own right?) I can remember reading Dracula as a student and thoroughly enjoying it.

10. As someone who has read all 4 books numerous times and can happily while away an afternoon watching the films I find it difficult to agree with you. Yes they are not the greatest works of literature and I doubt they will survive the same as Dracula but the books have an amazing ability to completely submerge you in the narrative.
    I have easily read the saga a dozen times. My OH thinks I am bonkers and the only justification I have for reading them over and over is that they make me happy.
    Your daughter will love the books Perdita and you will have a rather quiet Xmas while she is reading them. I would buy 1 and 2 and see how she gets on. If she still wants 3 and 4 you might want to read them 1st before you hand them over. However like I said in a previous post the content isn't too adult and probably a lot tamer than what she would see on TV before 9 pm.

11. rach1968

rach1968 New commenter

I would agree Charlene. I've read the whole saga several times and really enjoy them....and my degree is in Literature, lol! They are not fantastically written but everything one reads doesn't need to be - as long as they hold your attention and you enjoy them.[​IMG] As most have said, let your daughter read 1 and 2 and see if she likes them - I have 2 daughters and would have let them read the last book at 11 (nothing majorly sexual or gruesome).

12. I find the central message that 100 year old men can fall in love with vapid teenage girls, put them through hell and still have the adoration of said girl, a bit worrying. At least balance it up with a bit of Buffy where at least the teenage girl can put a stake through her elderly lover's heart should he step out of line...

13. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

And if you like the vampire genre, a friend of mine has written an excellent one (NOT for children!) Check out The Midnight Guardian by Sarah-Jane Stratford....if you dare (mwahahahah!)! (sorry, couldn't resist the shaeless plug)
    Don't know if I was reading romance at 11 - but I really enjoyed fantasy literature. I seem to remember loving the Wizard of Earthsea (was that Ursula Le Guin??), there's a really goo done about Arthur, set in Wales the name of which escapes me (I'll have to go and look for it ont he shelves in a mo!) (edit The Dark is Rising - I know it would come to me!)- and I really enjoyed getting to know Percy Jackson this summer too. How about Artemis Fowl? And the Philip Pullman ones?

14. Doglover

Doglover Occasional commenter

Perdita, I had exactly the same problem when my daughter was 11.
    I watched the films with her, and bought her the audiobook for her ipod, and she got the box series of books for Christmas.
    There is nothing about the books that I would worry about an 11 year old reading. The films are 12A.
    As for Edward, he is a 17 year old male in the story, and although he has lived for many years, will always be a 17 year old male.
    He comes from an era, where things were very much more old-fashioned than they are now, and he is very chivalrous. Everything he does in the books, he does to protect Bella. His views on sex are to be commended, and he won't allow himself to become involved in a sexual relationship with her until they are married.
    He shows great self-control and respect in the books, and I find him a very admirable character.
    The last book where she becomes pregnant is a little but more far-fetched. The only risk to Bella from her daughter though, is the rate the baby is developing at. Once the baby is born she is not at risk, as the baby is not a vampire.
    I cannot think of any reason, as long as your daughter is able to understand that it is all entirely fictional, for her not to read them.
    I would question more letting my daughter read any of Philip Pullman's books, tbh.

15. Doglover

I can't believe I am actually going to argue over Twilight. But how on earth can you think Edward treats Bella badly?
    He leaves her because he has to. She will remain in danger as long as he stays with her, unless he changes her into a vampire, which she wants, and he refuses to do.
    He feels this way, because he regrets having lost his own soul, when he became immortal and doesn't want her to lose her soul.
    In every other way, both he and his family are paragons of virtue and treat her as one of their own family. They all put themselves on the line to protect her.

16. Richie Millions

Richie Millions New commenter

I had to Google Vampire ****. Forgive my innocence, it was a mistake to do so. Richie will never learn.

17. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

Oooh, why? (says interestedly) Apart from the whole 'love will save the universe' thing at the end (grabs hold of vom bag!!).

18. Doglover

No he doesn't like her because she smells good. He likes her and she smells good. He is also very afraid of how he feels.
    Yes maturity is down to experience as well as age, but he hasn't been able to act like anything other than a 17 year old. He has had to act exactly like a 17 year old.
    I think those who don't like the book are interpreting it from the perspective of an adult, and not from that of a teenager.
    You are reading things into the book which simply aren't there to read.
    If you want to argue about it, Bella doesn't treat the 2 men in her life very well, does she?

19. Doglover

Bella isn't portrayed as vulnerable. If anything she is portrayed as very single-minded and strong willed.

20. I'd agree with the Phillip Pullman comment actually, the dark materials series are actually much more unsavoury than twillight. TO the person who wanted to know why - for me, it is thematic - Pullmans message is that God is dead, which I would find a hard story to tell a child without some good explanatory discussion in support.
    Twillight on the other hand, is quite a lot of something and nothing. One might argue all the 'weak female' stuff. But the point of bella's irritating character is that she isn't actually particularly weak.