1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Twelve years.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Aquamarina1234, Nov 8, 2019.

1. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

2. WB

WB Occasional commenter

I could be wrong, but he was found guilty of murder; that means an automatic life sentence. The judge then sets a tariff which is the minimum he must serve before being eligible for parole. So he will serve the 12 and a half years.

Still not long enough, but he won’t be out in 5.

Others may know more about the legal system than me and prove me wrong.

nomad and chelsea2 like this.
  3. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

In principle I agree... But then they are all our responsibility... That said I don't have a solution.

4. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

Jailed for life. Minimum term 12y 6m is the minimum before before an application for parole can be made.

nomad and chelsea2 like this.
  5. Aquamarina1234

Ah that's what I get for reading "news brief". But even so, 12 years for a horrific murder? Life's getting cheaper.

WB likes this.
  6. moscowbore

moscowbore Lead commenter

He would get more for bank robbery.

7. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

12 years is the minimum, not the maximum. He got life. He will never be completely free, even if he is released from prison, he will always be supervised and live with parole conditions

8. Aquamarina1234

My heart bleeds for him.

nomad likes this.
  9. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

Forget him. Remember Ellie Gould.

MAGAorMIGA likes this.
  10. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

He was under 18 at the time of the murder, meaning that the "starting point" for the sentence is 12 years. That can be increased for aggravating factors, such as not co-operating with the investigation, and it can be decreased for mitigating factors (such as admitting guilt at the earliest opportunity).

11. Aquamarina1234

He was a few months off 18!
    I don't know why the age of the murderer is ever an issue. We've had several teenage murderers sentenced this week. They all did it. None was acting in self-defence. They'll all be out still young enough to have a life, whilst the families of their victims (victims of bad temper, curiosity, status points) have had theirs ruined, and the victims' themselves ended after dying in pain and terror.

It's an insult.

Oscillatingass and WB like this.
  12. WB

WB Occasional commenter

I accept everything you day aqua but, as a serious qiestion, at what age can we sentence children to a life in prison?

17 ... 15... 13?

I don't have an answer but worry that young boys watching more and more violent **** will result in more and more of this.

13. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Homicide has been on the increase since 2015 and shows no sign of abating as it had been in the years up to 2015. The ONS statistics for England and Wales make interesting reading, insofar as men are at significantly greater risk of being murdered than women, but also interesting is that whereas women are more likely to be murdered by someone they know, this is comparatively rare with men, who are far more likely to be murdered by a stranger.

The statistics are just numbers though. They don't help us understand what's driving the upward trend, which is alarming more prevalent, depending on the age groups the murdered fall into.

What do we all think could be behind the upward trend? I have to say that over my lifetime, there have been a small number of people who upset me so much that if I never saw them again, that would be too soon, but I could never imagine myself murdering them, or feel the need to carry a weapon other than my wits to protect myself.

What's it all about?

14. Aquamarina1234

Would detection rates and whole-life "really" sentences not deter?
    In fact, I dont care if sentences don't deter or not. Do it, thank yourself your own criminal pathetic angry stupid life has not been the result.
    Because believe me, if your life had been in my hands, wave it goodbye. Obvs I welcome excusatory excuses.

15. Aquamarina1234

Thank you for your reply. I need to have questions to temper my anger at the sentences. Yes I agree that the upbringing and community experience of the murderers is always presented as a excuse. Why.

Oscillatingass likes this.
  16. LondonCanary

If it wasn't, we would all be murderers

17. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Are you able to expand on that a bit? What is it, do you think, that prevents you from being a murderer?

I don't mean this to be taken the wrong way, Madge, but you're not shy of being confrontational.

What is it for you that makes the difference between having an argument with some random bloke in the pub over the price of fish, and the decision of whether or not to be tooled up on the next occasion you visit that pub?

18. Oscillatingass

Oscillatingass Star commenter

Is it that the defence have to think of something to say even if the criminal in question has admitted the crime and cooperated with the investigation? I mean what can they say apart from "Err well members of the jury my client has admitted his guilt err.. nothing further to say." I presume they have to talk about how the defendant is "vulnerable" and if only the youth clubs hadn't been shut down he probably wouldn't have been a knife wielding psychopath. Perhaps the poor chap has a drug and alcohol problem which is always a handy excuse for defence barristers. Seriously 12 and a half years for the most callous, cold blooded and vicious murders I have ever had the misfortune to read about is frankly beyond a joke. I note on the same day, two criminals who attempted to rob two Arsenal footballers got 10 years each. In the robbery no one got killed. Like Aqua I am appalled by the lenience of the sentence of Griffiths the murderer.

Weald56 likes this.
  19. Oscillatingass

Oscillatingass Star commenter

Please be so kind as to explain this.

20. LondonCanary

The right upbringing and community experience stops us being murderers the wrong sort doesn't.