1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

tweeting in lesson - anyone tried it?? Looking for partner schools who teach AQA A level

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by mcinjp2000, Sep 9, 2012.

1. I am looking for ideas in using twitter in the classroom. How do people use it and what do they look for?

have your locked down your account etc? how do students folllow your tweets?

2. I am looking for ideas in using twitter in the classroom. How do people use it and what do they look for?

have your locked down your account etc? how do students folllow your tweets?

3. jweb2k

jweb2k New commenter

I have a teacher account, kids follow, other teachers follow. Some kids gets bored and unfollow. Quite a few of my tweets are directed towards them, but it's just an education account more generally.
    In the class - nope.

4. Why would you want to use Twitter in a classroom?

5. This is an educationally related forum for those who teach.

If you want to authorise kids *** about that's your business but it ain't teaching.

6. what a narrow minded approach to teaching.

For your information i do teach exceptionally well but i am always looking for new ways to inject life into a classroom. So please take your negative comments and take your dinosaur teaching ways back to copying out of a textbook

7. Holy Moses! I've found something I agree with NJB on. Twitter in the classroom? Some bright spark will be ordering iPads and iPods for their department next and then posting questions here, asking what to do with them.

8. djphillips1408

djphillips1408 New commenter

I ahve to say I concur with others on here and as a twitter user with a few followers I also can't see a use for it in the classroom for students. Besides if you allow it in class all they are going to do is follow celebrities and retweet drivel.

9. skar

skar New commenter

I agree that we should be teaching them about
    social networking as a tool and how to keep safe online. I am trying to
    introduce Twitter to the classroom, locked down and linked to their school
    email accounts to share ideas and best practice in Key Stage 4. I think it is a great idea to use Twitter and
    I am an avid fan of the social medium! Also check out this article about
    Twitter use in further education: http://mashable.com/2010/03/01/twitter-classroom/

<font face="Times New Roman" size="3">

. </font>

10. scruffycat

scruffycat New commenter

Twitter is a communicaiton tool and leave it at that. Head of Year tweets parents and kids follow and ignore if they wish like any tool. You could however force them to tweet in no more than the characters it allows what they have enjoyed the most in a lesson #ilike or even create a story that develops. Although blog would be better for this.
    Those that know suggest it is the live audienc ethat makes the difference when creating stories or commenting.
    Thus it is really for the talky subjects and not ict.

11. autismuk

autismuk New commenter

What, actually trying to teach something of value rather than pandering to trendy **** ?
    And you are modest with it.

12. jweb2k

jweb2k New commenter

I'd pay to see a cartoon of two ponies discussing network hardware. Or maybe it's just late and I'm not enjoying writing a Database presentation.

13. Awesome lesson - penguins wandering about discussing upgrading the iceberg network infrastructure!

14. DEmsley

DEmsley New commenter

Twitter, Moshi Monsters, and Penguin whatsit all blocked at our school and noone complains.
    You can get round the filters and issues with them following celebs etc by using a twitter alternative such as StatusNet which can be hacked to provide single sign-on.
    Uses in classroom: plenary answers to questions, help requests (each other & me), progress monitoring. General studies in particular it can be useful for discussions. Other alternatives work just as well.
    Not used with anything other than sixth form yet though but it has potential.

15. Tried talking to them?

16. ROFLOL.

17. clickschool

clickschool New commenter

I've got sixth form students that tweet outside of lessons about the progress they are making with their coursework and post links to relevant learning videos & web sites to help and encourage one another.

Ok, I admit it. The above isn't true...yet.

I can't presently see any value in using Twitter in the classroom.

18. jweb2k

jweb2k New commenter

Only if you like grunting as a response.

There's a value in Twitter for outside the classroom, but gosh - if social media is replacing social interaction, I'd be worried.

19. jweb2k

jweb2k New commenter

Note: I do sometimes put my lesson plans/resources on twitter the day before I'm teaching the lesson, for students to look through first. It's always been a pet hate of mine that school lessons are often a mystery before you get in and see "the objective(s)". Sharing it beforehand for the keen ones doesn't do any harm.

20. madcat

madcat Occasional commenter

I'd get worrying then.
    In the past few months I've come across an increasing number of people (children and adults) who seem to have very little social contact beyond their online "friends".
    Which would be bad enough.
    But none of them seemed to realise that this is a bit odd - says madcat conversing with a bunch of tenuous ne'erdowells over the ether